 Robotics / 25204
Re: Mindstorms NXT programming languages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 14 Jan 2006 00:00:10 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Chris Magno wrote:

I can understand the view of the "need more memory" crowd.

   I can to. But, I don't think I can force a redesign (to put it mildly). So...
how do we fix this problem? I mean, the idea of "only three sensors" didn't last
long with the RCX (I generally shun custom hardware, yet regularly use 4 or more
sensors), and if there's something we want different on the NXT... well, I'd
rather figure it out than fight it out.
   For really impressive memory and processing tasks with the RCX people
sometimes off-loaded data or processing to a PC, right? I'd suspct we can do
this easier (read: even I can do it) with Bluetooth. Is there such a thing as a
"Bluetooth thumbdrive"? In other words, what's the smallest, cheapest, bulk
memory device that can communicate via BT? Better yet, can we pack it into a
brick?

I can’t code my way out of a paper bag.

   OK, I know this isn't within the safe confines of rtlToronto, but... that
would make a wonderful challenge for the group: "write code so easy to
understand that Chris can use it to find his way out of a paper bag" (yes, I'm
ducking right now)...

Maybe that means slower clock speed, but higher memory?

   Hehe. This may be another part of the problem. I seem to run up against the
speed limitations far more often than memory (honest!), so if LEGO had asked me
(guys, keep that in mind for next time, OK?), I likely would have chosen an even
worse trade-off! Again, this may boil down to "you can't make everyone happy all
the time."

I have a Lego robot dinner to attend

   Eeewww... you guys actually *eat* LEGO robots?!? I'm so glad I've never made
it up to one of your dinners...