 People / 1616
Re: What kind of music do you listen to?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2001 04:32:21 GMT

Maggie Cambron wrote:
Having listened to different music over the years I find that while my tastes
have changed somewhat, I have never tired of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.  I
liked them in jr high and I still like them today.

I've been thinking of going through all my music and figuring out which
pieces entice me to hit repeat and play again. A few notable ones right
quick:

Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ" 4th movement (Maestoso; Allegro)
(with symphony and organ)
Georges Bizet Farandole (on organ)
Ludwig Beethoven Hymn to Joy (especially on organ, preferably w/o
vocals)
William Walton Crown Imperial (on organ)
Martin Luther Ein feste Burg ist unser Gott (on organ, w/o vocals, I
have a CD which has arrangements by both Johann Sebastian Bach and Johan
Pachelbel and I definitely prefer Bach's arrangement)
Elizabeth Stirling Talis' Canon (on organ)
Johann Sebastian Bach Toccata and Fugue in D minor (on organ)
Sibelius Findlandia (especially on organ)
Enya Orinoco Flow
Enya Only if...
Enya Triad
Mary Jane Lamond Horo Ghoid Thu Nighean
Trevor Rabin Promises
Jon Anderson Hurry Home
ABBA Arrival
Neil Young Love is a Rose (Linda Ronstadt's rendition)
Carolyn McDade Spirit of Life (this one especially I hit repeat, it's a
single verse song, and the CD I have which has it doesn't repeat the
verse, which is how it is often sung)
Eric Coates Dam Buster's March (especially the Jethro Tull rendition)

There are definitely others, those are just the ones which jump quickest
to mind. Can you tell I like organ music???? One thing I'd REALLY REALLY
dig is if Rick Wakeman would record some of his and Yes's songs on organ
(he is organ trained, which almost certainly explains why he is
absolutely my favorite modern artist - and probably explains why he
likes to use so many keyboards during recordings).

The other interesting music task I need to do sometime is catalog all
the languages sung in my collection. This task came to mind many years
ago after an incident at a caving event. I had just arrived and was
talking about listening to CDs on the drive up (this was about 6 or 7
years ago when not as many folks had CD players in their cars). I think
I may have also mentioned something about the breadth of my collection.
One of the women said (in a very haughty tone): "Well, I bet you didn't
listen to any Gaelic on the way up!" My response was: "Well, as a matter
of fact, we were just listening to the latest Enya CD...". Her counter
was then: "Well, I bet you don't have any African music!" (which was
true at the time, and still mostly true - though I need to get some
African drumming CDs). It's not too adviseable to challenge someone who
has a 700 or so CD collection (it was more like just a couple hundred
back then) about not having something or another (no I don't have
everything, but chances are pretty good that if you pick a general type
of music, I could dig out an example - I think I have just about every
genre covered, but I'm sure there's some obscure classifications I don't
have - but then I bet I could also surprise people with what I do have).

It's kind of interesting to me that I'm such a big music fan when I
wasn't that much into music until about 10 years ago (when I got a CD
ROM for my computer, and then shortly needed to get a CD changer to play
music CDs, then needed to get enough CDs to fill the changer, then....).
Of course I did have some favorites as a child (Sousa, Tom Lehrer
[random trivia, why did he at one time say "afterall, Massachusetts is
the only state with three senators?"], and Queen to name a few, adding
The Who in college). Things which definitely hurt were a younger sister
who played her music loud, and a freshman roommate in college who slept
to music.

Frank