 People / 1613
Re: What kind of music do you listen to?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.people
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:47:33 GMT

In lugnet.people, Maggie Cambron writes:

Having listened to different music over the years I find that while my tastes
have changed somewhat, I have never tired of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd.  I
liked them in jr high and I still like them today.

How do your kids relate?  :^)

Quasi-related to that, Oprah once had this guy on who said that everyone has a
personal anthem-- a song that kind of expresses who they are or what they are
about.  I would say mine is "Touch of Grey" by the Grateful Dead.

I can't agree with Oprah's guest, however I may be in the minority.  I would be
hard-pressed to choose just *one* piece of music for myself as a personal
anthem -- probably because I have very broad tastes, and wouldn't want to say
that any one genre in my repertoire is better than any other.

If pressed to choose a rock-and-roll anthem, it would be "Spectral Mornings,"
by Steve Hackett.  My jazz anthem would be "His April Touch," by Billy Childs.
For classical music, I would have to choose at least two.  My choice for a
solo piano work would be "Gaspard de la Nuit," by Maurice Ravel.  My choice for
orchestral composition would be Debussy's "La Mer."

Otherwise
I don't care for their music, partly because some guy in my dorm listened to
them constantly and loudly all through freshman year (hey Professor Ladasky,

<Blush> Don't I wish!  I am presently a postdoctoral fellow, which is a holding
pen for us restless animals who are queueing up to be professors.  Thanks for
the vote of confidence, though...

it was Clark Hall where you now teach --

There's a *brand new* building going up on the south end of the Johns Hopkins
University campus which will be named Clark Hall.  It's scheduled to open next
summer, I think.  As far as I know, there is no other building on the JHU
campus with that name.  I'm a bit baffled.  Are you a JHU alumna?

believe it or not another Lugnet member--
inactive now-- was in my graduating class!).

And who might that be?

Maggie C.

--
John J. Ladasky Jr., Ph.D.