Re: BrikWars Superheroes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 2002 04:17:33 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Mike Rayhawk writes:
Here's some mitigating factors you might consider:

1. It's not necessarily always a garuanteed hit - it's what the rulebook
refers to as a "Charging Attack" but which I conveniently forgot to write
any rules for.  To make a Charging Attack you roll against a UR of zero (or
weapon UR if you're charging with a weapon), plus or minus modifiers
(including CC bonus).  The target may then attempt to parry or dodge as usual.

Huh! Ok, that makes sense, actually. (That's why I gave him the Shock Troop
bonus, actually, since on the off chance that he would need a skill roll, he
could have extra CC skill)

2. Timmy stands a good chance of smashing or at least stunning himself on a
lot of these hits; he may be forced to consider moderating his speed out of
self-preservation when going up against heavily-armored targets.

Oh yes. I kind of count on him being knocked unconscious probably on each
full-force hit he makes, unless his target has a really weak AV. I figured I
would attempt to gauge things like walls' AV beforehand to find out how fast
he should take them on. That way he stands a chance of being able to do
*something* on successive turns.

3. I would change his AV from 2d10+19 to 4d10+8 or 5d10+2.  That adds a lot
more variability and increases the risks associated with item #2.  It also
adds a lot more knockback value to the collision, which will let you pull
the classic comic-book move of knocking an enemy through a series of
buildings with one mighty blow.

I thought about it-- I wanted enough "guaranteed" AV so he wouldn't die too
easily in a collision, though I suppose a minimum 21 AV (64 min damage to
kill him flat out from a collision) is probably a bit high yet. Hmmm...

So it would be an interesting twist on Timmy tactics if he had to knock
targets into other targets like a billiard ball if he wanted to cause real
damage.

That's definitely something I thought about. He becomes even MORE powerful
when strategically knocking enemies into other enemies, or enemy
mind-control machines and the like-- And effectively gives him extra attack
range.

I figured the way to do it would be to make billiard attacks be ranged.
Hence it'd be similar to a thrown object (UR 2) plus whatever movement
penalties are in play. Perhaps he needs a +2 UR to each successive hit in
the chain. To hit the 1st target, UR 0, to hit the 2nd target (With the
1st), UR 2, to hit the 3rd target, UR 4, etc. Maybe by 3's instead. That's
probably fairer, if not by 4's. Pool is tricky.

DaveE