Re: BrikWars Superheroes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 21:41:35 GMT

Well, I wrote this before I saw Mike's post, but I'll put it out there
anyway...

Okay, I've given this more thought. I really like this character. The part
that I'm having difficulty with (as I suspect you did) is that it either
takes 3 hits to kill something (standard rules) or he basically can kill
anything at will (your rules) up to point. The flaw with my last suggestion
is that Ram Man can't afford to miss, since he becomes too stupid. But I
have to tell you, I *really* like the idea of him crashing into buildings
and units all over the place.

Before I continue, I just want to make it clear, that Ram Man is your
character, so you can build him however you please. As for the rule
modification, as long as the other players agree with it, then I'm fine with
that, too. If he really is *too* powerful, I'm confident that I can come up
with a way to deal with him. :-)

That said, here are some suggestions. If Ram Man retains what little
intelligence he has between hits, he can be used all the time. Keep in mind
that since there's only going to be somewhere around 5 to 10 units that
somewhere around 5 to 7 people will be moving, there will be more turns
during this game than normal (I'll be the slow poke, but I won't take that
long to move).

Regarding points beyond a successful Stun, I think it would be cool if it
translated into additional distance. In other words, Ram Man would normally
collide with the target and get accelerated away from the point of impact.
But what would be cool is if he had the ability to continue on so that if a
number of targets were lined up, he potentially could stun them all or, my
personal favorite, still crash into a wall! This would kind of make up for
the fact that he can't seem to kill things immediately. This tactic would
work well with characters like IguanaMon and Dervish who are CC units, since
they could follow Ram Man a not be under the constant threat of being picked
off from a distance.

Again, they're just suggestions. Do whatever makes you happy. Now I have to
go re-read Mike's post.

- Joe

"David Eaton" <deaton@intdata.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.org.us.nelug, Joe Comeau writes:
Shaun's (and Travis') heroes were just telling me how lonely they are
hanging out on the Web site all by themselves.

Hearing the call of loneliness, a new hero comes to the rescue!

http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/RamMan.jpg

<snip>

Notes: With each successful hit, Ram Man becomes increasingly stupid. And
for every 4 turns *without* an attack, he regains intelligence.

Ram Man is suprisingly powerful. I created him with the intent more to be
comical than useful. However, after examining the collision rules, I • quickly
became quite impressed with the damage Ram Man can dish out:

Assuming Ram Man starts off running (at least 5"), then flies full-speed
into an object, he will do between 52 and 98 damage. And given that it's • not
really a "weapon" he has to "aim", he's pretty much guaranteed to hit. But
don't let those numbers fool you. To a truck or a building, sure, that's
indeed a whopping 52-98 damage. But to a *person*, that's 52-98 *stun* • damage.

Problem: A "successful" stun, according to the rules, will only mean the
target is stunned until it recovers. A repeated successful stun attack • will
leave the victim unconscious, and a third will kill. Now, this doesn't • quite
make sense-- If, say, a bus is slamming into a person at 90mph, sure, it
does "stun" damage, but it probably also kills him, without needing 3 • tries.

My solution was to say that every point *beyond* a successful stun goes • into
a *successive* attempt at the next stage of stun damage. IE if a unit had • AV
10, a stun damage of 0-10 wouldn't stun him; 11-20 would *stun* him, but
that's it; 21-30 would knock him unconscious; and 31+ would result in • death.
Sound reasonable?

Oh, and Joe, if this is way too powerful (he'll likely kill anyone he rams
into, possibly even himself in the process), I can tone him down a bit
damage wise. He'll probably get in 2 attacks (maybe 3) in the game, then • be
too stupid to be reliable. Well, ok, if he gets a bad roll, he might just
end up attacking the nearest thing instead of the enemy... So, probably • more
attacks :)

DaveE