Re: BrikWars Superheroes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.us.nelug
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 20:05:08 GMT

In lugnet.org.us.nelug, David Eaton writes:
Hearing the call of loneliness, a new hero comes to the rescue!
http://www.suave.net/~dave/images/RamMan.jpg

This is truly an awe-inspiring picture!

Although I'm not sure "awe" is really the right word.

Assuming Ram Man starts off running (at least 5"), then flies full-speed
into an object, he will do between 52 and 98 damage. And given that it's not
really a "weapon" he has to "aim", he's pretty much guaranteed to hit. But
don't let those numbers fool you. To a truck or a building, sure, that's
indeed a whopping 52-98 damage. But to a *person*, that's 52-98 *stun* damage.

Here's some mitigating factors you might consider:

1. It's not necessarily always a garuanteed hit - it's what the rulebook
refers to as a "Charging Attack" but which I conveniently forgot to write
any rules for.  To make a Charging Attack you roll against a UR of zero (or
weapon UR if you're charging with a weapon), plus or minus modifiers
(including CC bonus).  The target may then attempt to parry or dodge as usual.

2. Timmy stands a good chance of smashing or at least stunning himself on a
lot of these hits; he may be forced to consider moderating his speed out of
self-preservation when going up against heavily-armored targets.

3. I would change his AV from 2d10+19 to 4d10+8 or 5d10+2.  That adds a lot
more variability and increases the risks associated with item #2.  It also
adds a lot more knockback value to the collision, which will let you pull
the classic comic-book move of knocking an enemy through a series of
buildings with one mighty blow.

Problem: A "successful" stun, according to the rules, will only mean the
target is stunned until it recovers. A repeated successful stun attack will
leave the victim unconscious, and a third will kill. Now, this doesn't quite
make sense-- If, say, a bus is slamming into a person at 90mph, sure, it
does "stun" damage, but it probably also kills him, without needing 3 tries.

My solution was to say that every point *beyond* a successful stun goes into
a *successive* attempt at the next stage of stun damage. IE if a unit had AV
10, a stun damage of 0-10 wouldn't stun him; 11-20 would *stun* him, but
that's it; 21-30 would knock him unconscious; and 31+ would result in death.
Sound reasonable?

That seems reasonable; it's how the Stun rules originally went, before
things got mixed up with the Overkill rules.  But I should also point out a
some-what-related and interesting fact: of all pedestrians killed by moving
vehicles smashing into them, a significant majority survive the initial
vehicle impact, fly through the air an arbitrary distance, but are then
killed by the secondary impact (ie with the ground or a building or
something).  It has to do with muscular response to the trauma of the
initial impact.  Obviously, this only holds true up to a certain impact
velocity.

So it would be an interesting twist on Timmy tactics if he had to knock
targets into other targets like a billiard ball if he wanted to cause real
damage.

Just some thoughts.

- Mike.