 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 9457
Re: C$
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 15:49:34 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:
I bought my Connect-4 game yesterday.  Last night, my son wanted to play, so we
played a few games.  I'm really starting to 'understand' the game.  I won almost
all the games.

wow Steve, you must be SO PROUD!!!  you beat your son at connect-four, for
"almost all the games"

Hey.  :(  Don't make fun of me.

He's pretty smart for a 3 year old.  Once I realized I could use both hands to
put in my chips, I did it WAY faster than he did.

So:

"If a robot does not play exactly one chip in the game board before signaling
'End Of Turn', or the robot drops a chip outside the board, which interferes
with the opponent, the offending robot will forfeit the game"

Just my suggestion
Steve

I can not see in my mind how not not placeing a chip can be an advantage.

This just shows that you don't (yet) understand Connect 4.

Consider a game where the board is full, except there is 1 column with no chips
in it.  Both players have three in a row, and whoever puts a chip in the second
row of the open column, will win the game.

Noone wants to put a chip in the first column, because the other player will
win.

If you know how it works, or you just count the number of pieces (Chris, you
will need to take off your shoes, and get Abby to take hers off, so you can
count that high)  You'll discover Black wins this game.

even if you can show me, the thought that someone might program for that
scenario just breaks the KISS rule.
if people want to do that..... then so be it.

BUT keep in mind ANY RULE that automatically disqualifies a robot allows for
"lesser" robots to win.

for example:  what if a known GOOD robot has a run of bad luck, and miss's one
chip.  this ~could~ allow a robot made by Calum or Greg to win againts a robot
made by team Rob-dont stress my Gear- S.

Actually, given the above example, this gives C or G a chance to win, because
their robot didn't put the first chip, when it should have.  And Rob's robot,
which didn't miss a chip, would loose.

Also, I'm sure Rob's robot would check to make sure it actually put in a chip,
before it signaled it was done with the turn (End of Turn).