 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 16625
Re: rtl22 working concept
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 01:22:37 GMT

Ka-On Lee wrote:

Marks--Chris wants X's and Squares, that fantastic game we all played as
children.  I kinda think that's retarded...his reasoning is that squares are
easier to draw.  My reasoning is, it's also easier to just transmit bytes to
each other instead of drawing or moving blocks...

Calum, I think you missed my point. When I said "easier" to draw. I
meant to imply, that the robot who plays O would be at a SLIGHT timed
disadvantage, vs. the X playing bot.

We need to finalize a "timed" game and or would each "round" consists of
2 matches where each bot gets to play X and O?

...if we're going to draw, might as well make the effort to draw WELL.

I think drawing a square would take as much time with a "standard" type
bot, as it would to make an X.

My concern with drawing circle is some may do it the hard way and the game will
take too long.  Although the slowest part is probably trying to read where the
opponent draw their X or O.

If a bot miss-read because the opponent's last drawing is off center or not dark
enough, who's at fault?

That’s easy.  If an X or O is so bad that a bot would miss read the
mark, then that’s the foul to the robot that drew the bad mark.

A miss read can be determined by the 2 players and if need be the
judges.  As a group we are always very fair, and end up allowing many
bots and we tend to look the other way.

We DON’T need to make some "standard" size and shape. That’s why we have
the spirit of the game rule.  As well, the idea is to mimic a human
playing.  Meaning you can’t tell a child his X needs to be 1.345 mm and
45 degrees to the left.

A second reason for not needing to specify the X and O size is because,
if we choose a FAT enuff marker, then even a BAD dark mark in the square
will register.

As well, most people should be able to program there bots NOT too need
to actually READ the X or O portion of the cell, rather, just to see
that this cell NOW has a mark, where as LAST time it didn't.  Lets not
forget that the robot should also be able to remember were it put its
OWN mark, so would it really need to re-read that cell?

Can I pre-install different drawing apparatus for X or O between different
games?  Can the bot carry more than 1 marker?

Yes, if  you feel your bot needs 2 separate EOA tools for an X vs. an O
then I don’t see any reason not to allow this.  Go for it.  In Fact it
was Jeff VW who first proposed an EOAT to draw a nice circle.

Umm, why would you need more than one marker?

Size--Lotsa debate on this.  Chris wants smaller, John, Derek and I think it
should be larger (somewhere around 1.5 to 2 inches.

Go large to give the judges and audiances a chance to see what's going on.

I can see your point. I will go with whatever the group wants.

Re: markers,

John G proposes this:

------snip----

propose this Paper Mate permanent marker (010301) half-way down the page:

http://www.grandandtoy.com/sites/?catalogueId=162&categoryId=132&parentId=33&currentPage=2&getCategories=0&getProducts=1&browseDirection=1&userClickedBack=0&isPostBack=1

it is purely coincidence that I have one already :)

The "chiseled" tip, when used vertically, creates a 3-4mm wide black
stripe in all directions.
Body of marker is about 18mm in diameter

---------end-----

I think we should quest for something BIGGER!!!! and FATTER.  and more
FLAT at the tip when held vertically.  As it is right now, the tip of
this marker is okay, but to get that nice FAT edge, you have to hold it
at an angle.

a QUICK google images search shows me this:

http://www.mayfairstationers.co.uk/images/ED82852.jpg

ya, ya, I thinks its NOT a Canadian product, but it does convey the idea
  of what I think would make a good bot marker.

Calum was not too far off when he said BINGO DABBER.  too bad they
SMUDGE (Janey pointed that out to me)  and they are too transparent.

Chris

10 ? clr
20 if X1 = 1 then DAB
30 goto 10