 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14822
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:37:22 GMT

Rob Antonishen wrote:

> On 9/27/05, Chris Magno wrote:

snipping rob being patronizing.

   Maybe adding a standing rule that all entries

> have to run once on their own in a "qualifying" round to compete.

now this idea has some merit !!!!

THIS rule addition would reduce loop hole ideas because they wouldn't be
able to compete.

if i recall, we had a qualifying round for king of the hill, and we were
  VERY forgiving, and it did allow us to whittle down the number of bots
from 100 to the best 8. and made for a more lively game day.

> My first ever entry in an RTL event was #15 - the other game (marble
> collecting).  My robot sucked.  The winner (if I recall) was Rob
> Stehlik, who "won" by making the the opponent loose (sorry if I'm
> getting the details wrong on who's 'bot did what) by exploiting an
> irregularity in the scoring.  But that was the first robot I say that
> used a rotation sensor to detect hitting a wall rather than bumpers.
So I learned two things :)

great. so this is cause you were abused at an early event, and now your
here to take it out on all of us.
  (KIDDING!!!!  JOKE!!!)

ya, the idea of a rotation sensor as a bumper switch is fantastic.  a
rotation sensor is a much more sensitive bumper than any other touch
switch i have seen,  and if set up right can also offer some degree of
depth of touch.

>> sorry rob.
>

> Don't be sorry.
>

>> ROB, thats why i am trying to use the HITW.  so i dont end up seeing a
>> play area full of open top autonomous stationary BOX's!!!!
>>

> And that makes the game better.  But would you disallow a stationary
> box that has HITW on all four sides and a sweep arm EOAT that would
> try to dispense a brick when something got close enough to trigger a
> bumper?  Kind of like the way a flower puts pollen on a bee when a be
> climbs in it?  Statistically it wouldn't fare much worse than a mobile
> box...and might do better...
>
> -Rob A>

YES, in my opinion this is a valid design.  but i also felt that way
about ring robots. it was a valid design.

Chris