 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14802
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 14:30:57 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:

Okay, unfortunately I can't reply en masse to everyone

here, but some points:

Chris, I know you want to do this, but I can't see how this

is actually going to work.  I mean, I want peace and

harmony in the world, but is it practical?

Can you honestly tell me, that you think this is going to

actually have workable solutions, and it is not just a

matter of making it a stupid joke?  Every event to make it

feasible, we need to immediately see at least ONE workable

solution approach.  (usually we need to see more than one,

to make it good)

Listen, my issue is with the fact we're doing a stupid

game, with a silly name.  I'm perfectly happy with a GOOD

game, with a silly name.  We could do rtl20: Project X2 or

something and call it something dirty if you truly desire.

But I don't want to subvert the organization's best

interests just so we could say we made a humping game.

Janey, when you speak of your own entry at rtlToronto19,

you went in with the idea that this ring shape could

possibly win against some robots.  It may not have taken as

much effort or skill as Dave's to build, but it certainly

was effective, as was RobA's daughter's, which was similar.

My bone (hehehe, he said, my) of contention with this

current proposed game is that none of us expect it to work.

It's like saying, I'm going to enter in a Harry Potter

castle, and hope it'll dock with another robot.

Fun of course is good.  But I don't want to continue doing

contests which are 'everyone let's have a stupid laugh'.

We do those, they're the live events.    Everyone gets a

good chuckle, people have a good time.  The robotics stuff

we need to put some effort into designing good contests and

good entries.

Mechanical or not, lots of effort or none, the point of

these things is to see what you can do on your own.  If the

contest is hopeless to begin with, we're just meeting up on

a Saturday for no reason.  Might as well get together at

Golden Griddle then.

I think we need to talk this one over in person at a dinner

sometime soon.  If we can't come to a conclusion as to

improved rules, I think we should see some demonstration

robots by DaveK and Chris, they're the loudest voices in

this group for this event, and they need to show this is

actually workable.

Calum

so much to say.... so little time.

---------------warning all caps ahead----------------

THIS IS NO LONGER ABOUT THE TEE HEE FACTOR.

THIS IS A GOOD GAME, WITH A LOT OF COMPLEX MECHANICAL AND PROGRAMING
REQUIREMENTS.

IF  IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER, THEN RENAME THE GAME. BUT LETS KEEP THE
PROPOSED RULES.

THIS IS NO LONGER ABOUT THE TEE HEE FACTOR.

I NO LONGER CARE ABOUT THE POTENTIAL TO OFFEND WITH THIS GAME.   GET
PAST THAT; AND SEE THAT THIS IS A COMPLEX GAME IN AND OF ITSELF.

THIS IS NO LONGER ABOUT THE TEE HEE FACTOR.

---------------------END ALL CAPS---------------

what do i need to say or do, to show you and the fence sitting community
that this is no longer about the tee-hee factor and that even if no
robot succeeds this game will still be a fun AND robot builder will
learn a GREAT DEAL. a return to our core of blending mechanical and
software with the analog world.

yes, we COULD blow off the HITW part, and make it open topped.  BUT then
  i get to see people show up with a shoe box.  yay me. (that was sarcasm)

WOULD a PRIZE make it more legitimate?  sec...

(rummage rummage - no thats spoken for, no, thats for some other
contest... rummage... ah ha here it is)

OK!!!!

we now have a REAL first prize!!!!!

I am willing to offer a craptastic MISB 8257

think of all the teal and purple lift arms...

so, NOW is it a legit game?

NOW can we move PAST the tee hee factor. and talk about this yet to be
named block exchanging game??

Im calling on those in the rtl robot building community to show your
support and express an interest in this game for the GAMES sake.

regards
Chris