 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14782
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:44:32 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Greg Hyland wrote:
If we want to make it harder by making a coupling mechanism' a la rectangular
hole and block dispenser, than so be it--saying it's obscene is like saying that
scene in Apollo 13, where the LEM and the capsule came together, is
obscene--we're doing the same thing, yet we want the 'bots to do it
autonomously, and with the difference that each 'bot was made by different
people--you don't know what they're going to bring so you have to build
accordingly.

Oh, please... We all know that the intent is to be sugestive, and so will
everyone there. Comparing it to the spacecraft is naive.

Why not this: blocks are to be dropped into a basket. However, you don't want
blocks to be droped into your basket. So two things are happening: you are
trying to get rid of blocks and avoid having anyone give you blocks. Robot "Hot
Potato" if you will.

-Greg

That's a good idea for a competition.  I'm sure we'd have to define the rules a
bit to state that the hopper can't be covered, and once a block is in the
hopper, no mechanism can knock it out of the hopper...

Here's the thing about the other idea--rtl competitions are usualy hashed out at
dinner after the previous competition.  We all started talking and somehow that
lead to the mating game.  Part of it was for the 'punchline' but now that we've
been discussing it, and I've been thinking about it, when it comes right down to
it, this is just like block stacking and block srting--your 'bot has to handle
blocks.

There'll be movement, there'll be blocks exchanging, and, since I'm one of the
least capable 'bot builders out there and even I have a pretty good idea of
making a capable 'bot of doing both receivning and sending, I'm starting to
wonder what all the animosity is about.

I was originally concerned when it went from a hopper to a vertical opening, but
that's just part of the robot making.  I have some good ideas, and my 'bot will
neither be stationary, nor depend on luck--block stacking, though luck was a
factor, was for the building of an autonomous  robot to complete the task.
Block sorting--same thing.  Now we do block exchanging and now we have an issue
because of the 'visual'?

I think it'll be fine.  I think that if its just Chris and I showing up with a
'bot, eh, so rtl 20 is like rope climbing....

We've had competitions with many 'bots, we've had competitions with few 'bots.
That's the way rtl works.  And I wouldn't change a thing.

I am the first person to make sure that everyone's okay and comfortable with
situations.  That said, I'm going to say this--if I think that this competition
is going to work and will be fun (and even I can create a 'bot for it), and it
doesn't go against my somewhat liberal Christian values, then I think we'll be
okay.

I know that LUGNET's going thru another 'snippy stage', where everything that's
said is going to be looked at, analyzed, and thought about every which way from
Sunday, and flame posts are going to go on for a bit...

Eh, maybe we're all tired and snippy.

Dave K