 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14818
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:55:18 GMT

On 9/27/05, Chris Magno wrote:

i never said it was an end run... i said that i LEARNED nothing.

huge differance.

Then, grasshopper - if you learned nothing I am saddened,

Is a competitive contest there are two ways to "win":
1) to succeed by completing the objective.
2) to cause the opponent to fail, thus win by default.

This is why the "trivial case" for any competition is to play on an
empty field.  Against no-one. A "solution" like the ring cannot win
without an opponent.  Maybe adding a standing rule that all entries
have to run once on their own in a "qualifying" round to compete.

I prefer to see competitions that encourage #1  But people are drawn
to the #2, possibly because of laziness.

i got to take home Daves robot to "study" it.  i picked up a few neat ideas.

i memorized the ring robot design, and moved on.

ROB, for me. its about the LEARNING. not (as you say) how to run around
the rules.

My first ever entry in an RTL event was #15 - the other game (marble
collecting).  My robot sucked.  The winner (if I recall) was Rob
Stehlik, who "won" by making the the opponent loose (sorry if I'm
getting the details wrong on who's 'bot did what) by exploiting an
irregularity in the scoring.  But that was the first robot I say that
used a rotation sensor to detect hitting a wall rather than bumpers.
So I learned two things :)

sorry rob.

Don't be sorry.

ROB, thats why i am tring to use the HITW.  so i dont end up seeing a
play area full of open top autonomous stationarty BOX's!!!!

And that makes the game better.  But would you disallow a stationary
box that has HITW on all four sides and a sweep arm EOAT that would
try to dispense a brick when something got close enough to trigger a
bumper?  Kind of like the way a flower puts pollen on a bee when a be
climbs in it?  Statistically it wouldn't fare much worse than a mobile
box...and might do better...

-Rob A>