 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14817
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:32:33 GMT

On 9/27/05, Greg Hyland  wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishenwrote:
I completely disagree that the rings were an end-run around the game
rules.  They were about the BEST interpretation of the contest, based
on the rules set.

Ever heard the phrase KISS?

It seems that when someone manages a battery-box solution to
accomplish what other need an RCX, everyone says "oooohhh what a good
job.... how clever".  So why use an RCX if a battery-box solution will
work?  Why use a battery-box if a stored energy solution will work?
Why use a stored energy solution if a simple machine will work?

Except this is a Mindstroms robots group. I want to see Mindstroms robots
being
used. Not just a LEGO contraption. It's like what Chris said in another post
here, I want to see robot enteries and LEARN something from them. RCX robots
are
neat. I'm in a group to see RCX ideas at work, not see who can find the clever
loophole.  Sure your idea -- a-hem, I mean your daugter's idea -- was clever
and
valid, but in the long run I liked Dave's robot better. So if making rules
that
you have to have something motorized is bad, well, heck, while were at it, why
bother using LEGO? Why limit ourselves to that? Why can't I just go over to
the
balance beam and lift up with my arms? I'd win! I'd win against your -- I mean
your son's -- tower for sure!

Oh, because how fun would that be?

Greg - I agree completely!  My point was not that we should endorse
loophole entries or trivial entries, but encourage contests that lend
them to an RCX solution.

I also liked Dave's bot the best.  It was well designed and
exceptionally cool to watch.  But IT DIDN"T USE AN RCX EITHER!!!!!

-Rob A>