 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14778
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:59:42 GMT

Calum Tsang wrote:
I'm sitting here in a laundromat in Kyoto and I've been reading your posts about
rtl20.  To put in bluntly, this is really going to for a lot of work to make a
stupid joke.  You'd be better off putting your energy into building hygiene
product shaped spacecraft or something similarly stupid.

and Greg said:

> Has it occurred to anyone that this event is going on in a public
library? A lot
> of parents and kids show up. This isn't dropping bricks into a box
(like I kind
> of thought originally), but inserting some sort of brick depositor
through a
> hole in the side of another robot. Maybe the kids won't get it, but
the parents
> will, and quite possibly, the library will. Do we want to piss off
the library
> so that we can, tee hee, say almost-dirty things on LUGNET?
>
> -Greg

Calum, Greg,

I will admit that this was at first a joke in the same vein of bonktron,
and other silliness on lugnet.

But the more we flushed out this "game" the more I thought that it just
might be a lot of fun.

Your points can be seen as valid. and who knows, you just might be
right.  BUT

AND this is a big BUT.

until we actually TRY this game, we wont know for sure.

  ~I~ want this game.

The library has already been reserved for Feb 11th 2006 at Oakwood.

Derek and I and John, now Dave,AND janey ALL think we can put together
something.  I'm sure other people will too.

If you dont want to play;  if Steve doesn't like the game, thats fine.
your constructive criticism is always appreciated.  but as of right now.
  i plan on doing this game.

IF you want some other game, then by all means, the library is big
enough and you are more than welcome to have a second game on the day.

Calum, Greg, Im sure that on the surface this is (to you) still a "lets
make fornicating robots", game. And it WAS at first; it has since evolved.

Give me a second and I will try to show you some value in this game

thoughts - in no order

- this game uses the play field.  lots of people like our games that use
this board and have asked for a return to it.

- people have requested a game that allows for the build of a mobile robot

- the ability to have a robot dock/get/pickup  something is a VERY
complex thing in industrial robotics. but Iain has a wealth of lego
robots that show that lego robots  CAN get/pickup/dock with things that
are static.    We are egotistical enough to think that we can add 2 more
VERY COMPLEX variables, (unknown other robot design, AND autonomous) and
some how make this work.

- rtlToronto has ALWAYS ~always~ !!!ALWAYS!!! ( i cant stress that
enough) been about LEARNING how other people problem solve given a
common task.  We have, this time picked a task, that on its surface WAS
controversial for HUMORS sake, BUT is now a VALID game with a knows goal.

- with the current rule set, a valid robot design for this game will
incorporate multiple rcx, many sensors, AND a complex program to have to
think around too many variables.

-in terms of complexity, this is "easier" than the programing for
Project X and C$.

-Calum said he wanted a hard game. WELL here it is. what could be harder
than to try to drive and find AND dock with a random moving OTHER THING??

Greg said:
> Do we want to piss off the library
> so that we can, tee hee, say almost-dirty things on LUGNET?

Greg, as to your points about offending the library, I think I can clear
this up.

ONE:  ~I~ pay for and rent the library myself.  It is at ~MY~ sole
discretion as to weather we make an event public, or private (as we did
with the live RC race game).  At no time, has the library EVER said we
~HAD~ to allow the kids in.   I have always chosen to ~~~~OFFER~~~~ ,
and allow the kids to watch; we all enjoy that, but its NOT about the
KIDS. Its about seeing how others solve problems. MANY other functions
happen in a rented basement. I dont think the kids get to go to the AA
meetings, yet the library still rents that group a room.

TWO: I have at every event explained the game to the library staff of my
own volition.  If after I explain this game, and any connotations, they
feel it is not something they would like, then I will be happy to take
this game elsewhere.  FWIW, my rapport with the library staff is
fantastic, and as a  good judge of character, my guess is they will have
a chuckle with this.

There are many ways to explain this game. When I proposed this game to
my peers I was more liberal with my vocabulary, when I explain it to my
mother-in-law I will be more conservative.

other than the silliness of how we skitter around the naming of the EOAT
used to deposit the brick, AND the name of the BRICK, AND the HITW, why
is this game not enjoyable for you?

I am ALWAYS open to discuss this at dinner or voice if you want to call
me. LMK

Thanks
Chris