 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14773
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 15:31:04 GMT

I'm sitting here in a laundromat in Kyoto and I've been reading your posts about
rtl20.  To put in bluntly, this is really going to for a lot of work to make a
stupid joke.  You'd be better off putting your energy into building hygiene
product shaped spacecraft or something similarly stupid.

I love the idea of a cooperative game and I think the distribution of blocks is
a cool idea.  The problem is, as many have stated, it's really blind luck
whether or not you'll find someone to exchange blocks with.  The goal is far to
vague, and any attempts to make it more concrete (insert Beavis laugh here) or
harder, is frankly going to make the game less creative.  Right now the current
ruleset forces a number of RCX tanks with large hoppers and some sort of brick
trickler up top.  There are no variety of methods, no alternative solutions.

And for all of that, no one is really guaranteed it's going to work.  In fact, it's worse, everyone is going in assuming random luck.   I've seen 17 competitions in this group, and yes, in every one, luck is a factor.  rtl19 is case in point...Dave SHOULD have won from all of his work, but RobA's little boy won.  Was it luck?  The point is, DaveK goes in with the understanding and goal that it will work, and puts the effort in correspondingly.

Wait a minute!  Yes, I agree, this game makes for some great juvenile jokes.
Yes, I agree, in every game there is a bit of "dumb luck"... and truly, often it
may be hard to see just what divine intervention will provide it.

BUT I disagree that this is a "stupid game" for the sake of making a "stupid
joke"

Bare with me.... and Dave pardon me for a second....

Take the last game, Dave and I did a redo, 3 times, and I took each win... when
does "dumb luck" end and lack of ability overtake???  Don't get me wrong, I am
by NO means implying "The JLUG (Gravity Based) Big O" was better!

Dave's bot was a thing of beauty to behold, it was a million times more functional and way "cooler"!!! A much better design, and encompassed, (oh so much) more work and mechanical as well creative thinking, but the fact was, when push came to shove, his bot was not designed to kick my butt, (or bots like mine).   Was this an oversight???? Or dumb luck? Either, or, I don't care, the fact was, at least for me, and I think Dave can agree, that at that moment, on redo number 3, both of us were having fun.

Fun, gee what a concept!!!

Flash forward....

This new game, it has been said, has an issue of "dumb luck".... which makes it
stupid.
BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD... THIS IS rtl!!!!!
So design a robot that gets around that!!!

It is conceivable to me, that anyone worth his weight in robot building, CAN,
and will work around these "problems" of the so called dumb luck.

If I had the building skill, I would build a bot that seeks another bot...
AND just like wild animals getting it on in nature, it wont be based on "buy me
a drink and lets see what happens!"  Kill the dumb luck, cause a cute bot isnt
going to score.

If you design your bot, to SEEK its mate, and then it GRABS a hold of it,
CONTROLS or positions it into the proper placement, and then does its deed...
YA you got...   "CAPTURE, then RAPTURE!!!"

IF your bot doesn't give the other bot the chance to say "Sorry, not tonight, I
have a headache" then you have planted your seed, wham bam... and then you move
on to your ... NEXT ma'am.

If I have learned one thing about rtl, it's NOT supposed to be about the win,
right??? Its about the fun, and what you learn and how you push your own
building skills, and what you take from others skills, concepts or ideas,
right???  Or am I totally off the mark here?

So, if someone, even JUST ONE player, can make a bot that removes the "dumb
luck" isn't that worth the game??? When I attend, and I see a bot that can plant
his seed like the best stud in the bar.... well heck, THATS worth the drive to
T.O.

Janey "Red Brick"