 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14815
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:39:45 GMT

Greg Hyland wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Rob Antonishen <rob.antonishen@gmail.com> wrote:

I completely disagree that the rings were an end-run around the game
rules.  They were about the BEST interpretation of the contest, based
on the rules set.

Ever heard the phrase KISS?

It seems that when someone manages a battery-box solution to
accomplish what other need an RCX, everyone says "oooohhh what a good
job.... how clever".  So why use an RCX if a battery-box solution will
work?  Why use a battery-box if a stored energy solution will work?
Why use a stored energy solution if a simple machine will work?

Except this is a Mindstroms robots group. I want to see Mindstroms robots being
used. Not just a LEGO contraption. It's like what Chris said in another post
here, I want to see robot enteries and LEARN something from them. RCX robots are
neat. I'm in a group to see RCX ideas at work,

thank you greg. well said.  and a very good point.

sadly, we will forever have to struggle with where a line is between
allowing non rcx bots and rcx based bots.

why was robs monkey bot OK? why was my beam robot ok?  why was a ring
robot not?

the simple answer is they are ALL OK!!!

they ALL worked (well not mine)

its just that i learned from robs, and i learned from mine.  i didnt
learn from a ring robot.  in fact. the CATCH MECH. on MY robot was just
a version of a ring bot.

  not see who can find the clever
loophole.  Sure your idea -- a-hem, I mean your daugter's idea -- was clever and
valid, but in the long run I liked Dave's robot better. So if making rules that
you have to have something motorized is bad, well, heck, while were at it, why
bother using LEGO? Why limit ourselves to that? Why can't I just go over to the
balance beam and lift up with my arms? I'd win! I'd win against your -- I mean
your son's -- tower for sure!

Oh, because how fun would that be?

As an aside - someone mentioned "hot-potato"...
Off the top of my head this could be a great game - open topped boxes
with a minimum area and maximum height.  And one potato - say a ping
pong ball (since many would not have access to
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x957 or http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x35.
Start with everyone on the field.  At the end of x minutes, who-ever
has the ball is out.  Repeat until there is only one bot left.

Hot potato? Oh my goodness! Tht was MY idea! This actually goes beyond what I
suggested, but I like it better!

-Greg

yes. in some other post, GREG has on several occasions made very valid
suggestions for past games, and ideas.  so have many other people.
Calum and i always TRY to incorporate everything. but in the end we go
with our gut feeling on what might be "cool."

no debate, no committees, no meetings.  just me and calum, 2 egotistical
self centered SOB's who make a final decision trying amongst all hope to
not piss off too many people.

there may be other cool games, but when do we finally put our foot down
and say this is the game, these are the rules?

shrug.  its one of the reason why i tell people we have lots of space at
the library. not to be a SMUG A-hole, but to say, HEY, the space is
there, go forth and organize it.

Chris