 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14813
Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 17:12:59 GMT

Rob Antonishen wrote:

On 9/27/05, Chris Magno wrote:

using daves original idea, a shoe box is a VERY GOOD solution to that
game.  MUCH like the ring/gravity robots were a  good solution to the
beam game.

BUT. what did i learn from the ring robots.  NOTHING, other than yay, a
neat way around the spirit of the game.

Boy - I've been standing here ignoring this and hoping for a decision
on a game, but feel I have to jump in here.

I completely disagree that the rings were an end-run around the game
rules.  They were about the BEST interpretation of the contest, based
on the rules set.

i never said it was an end run... i said that i LEARNED nothing.

huge differance.

i got to take home Daves robot to "study" it.  i picked up a few neat ideas.

i memorized the ring robot design, and moved on.

ROB, for me. its about the LEARNING. not (as you say) how to run around
the rules.

why is this so difficult for people to understand??  i dont want a TOMB
or rules, saying that this or that design is not allowed.  BUT by that
same token my hope is that people design to beter themselves, and
others.  yes you can show up with a lego sticker. but realy who
benifits?  no one.

YES, the ring robot was vaild.  did i like it, YES. it was a good way to
solve the problem.  did i learn any neat new software tricks, OR how to
space a beam to a plate? NO.

sorry rob.

Ever heard the phrase KISS?

It seems that when someone manages a battery-box solution to
accomplish what other need an RCX, everyone says "oooohhh what a good
job.... how clever".  So why use an RCX if a battery-box solution will
work?  Why use a battery-box if a stored energy solution will work?
Why use a stored energy solution if a simple machine will work?

Sure, rather than a simple ring with a flapper gate, one could have
used a wheeled device (like the prototype Mario brought).  Add a
rotation counter and an RCX to determine position on the beam.  Throw
in a motor operated latch to close when it got past the pivot.  And
you still have an entry that competes by not letting it get pushed
back past the pivot.  Just like the ring - but WAY more complicated
and WAY more over designed...but no-one would dare to call it a "way
around the spirit of the game".

The point is - the game rules define the strategy.  If you don't want
"trivial" solutions then don't pose trivial problems!  I dare say
no-one could have done Project X or C$ without a CPU.

With the amount of "randomness" and "luck" identified as a
prerequisite for this game I think that the trivial entry is being
begged for...

-Rob A>

ROB, thats why i am tring to use the HITW.  so i dont end up seeing a
play area full of open top autonomous stationarty BOX's!!!!

As an aside - someone mentioned "hot-potato"...
Off the top of my head this could be a great game - open topped boxes
with a minimum area and maximum height.  And one potato - say a ping
pong ball (since many would not have access to
http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x957 or http://peeron.com/inv/parts/x35.
Start with everyone on the field.  At the end of x minutes, who-ever
has the ball is out.  Repeat until there is only one bot left.