 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 14819
Re: to recap-- was Re: Comments from a laundromat ...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:42:09 GMT

On Tue, September 27, 2005 12:39 pm, David Koudys wrote:
ROB, thats why i am tring to use the HITW.  so i dont end up seeing a play area • full of open top autonomous stationarty BOX's!!!!

What this does not stop, obviously, is for me to make my robot basically open
around the entire perimeter, and just have technic beams every 5 inches around the
perimeter.  That follows the rules, but is more like the 'open top' concept,
except now I have 'open sides'.

I dunno, am I thinking too much about it?

No.

Putting a lid on the box does not make the box less effecitive.  It will make the
autonomous-robot-trying-to-distribute-blocks less effective.

It DOES mean the box's score will go down.  Maybe even as much as all the other
robot's scores go down.  However, I suspect having a lid will not be as big of a
disadvantage for a stationary box as it is for an autonomous robot.

If everyone shows up at this event with a box, Chris should be very dissappointed
with ...   himself.  (why did he bring a box?)

If everyone but Chris brings a box, Chris will win, because his bot is bound to
exchange with two different boxes during the entire day.  In that case, the box is
not a good strategy.

Not everyone will bring a box.  Most will bring an entry that Chris can learn
something from.

Adding more rules will cut back on the total number of entries. (Entries that Chris
can learn from)

For example, per Dave, the rules with a lid:
The specifics are that the container to hold blocks on your robot has to have at
least 1 vertical opening on the side that is at least 3 inches by 3 inches  but
cannot be greater than 5 inches by 5 inches--the bottom of the opening cannot be
above five inches from the floor nor can the top of the opening be below the 8
inch mark--this prevents someone from making an opening anywhere they feel like,
nor can you make one continuous opening that circles the perimeter --that's why
there's a minimum and a maximum size.  (these are just arbitrary numbers--they can
be debated)

And the rules without:
The specifics are the robot should have a container to hold blocks

If the main goal is to win, you'll want the extra rules.

Steve