 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10469
Re: Starting C4 Games
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:37:41 GMT

Michael Purvis wrote:

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Hassenplug wrote:

I've also discovered when two RCX sensor lines are connected, polarity matters.
If the line is reversed on one side, both RCXs will read the switch as closed.

I noticed that too. How about we simply agree that everyone connects the
arbitrating wire to the sensor with the wire facing away from the display. If
someone's design doesn't permit this sort of connection, then it can be easily
reversed with another wire or switch.

No we just won't allow this.  No sensor ports are to be connected
together at any time.

Over sort durations we know this doesn't hurt the sensor ports, but we
don't know what will happen after a day of game play.  Add in the
differences of the arbitrator being a control lab, and we just don't
know what will happen.

I don't want anyone loosing hundred dollar pieces of equipment because
of this.  We will use them as they are intended to be used.

The Arbitrator has been designed with motor driven touch sensors to
facilitate this.

If you need to know when you've touched your end of turn sensor add a
second sensor.  If you don't have enough sensors, design your robot
around a dummy one, I'm sure people including myself would be willing to
lend you one.

Although I now have eight of them tied up in the Arbitrator, so I may
not have extras at the moment.  But we'll definitely find one for you
game day if you need it.

If people really must home at the beginning (I don't need to), then we could
simply not connect the wires together until both bots have homed, come off their
respective sensors, and one has been sent the go-ahead signal.

You just don't connect until you are ready to play.

Derek