 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10465
Re: Starting C4 Games
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 03:34:28 GMT

One thing that has not been clearly indicated in the rules is how the
connect 4 games will be started.  I have what I think is a simple proposal.

The game is started by pressing the turn button on the robot that is to
go first.  If playing with the Arbitrator it will provide this signal.

The robot will scan the board, see that there are no chips played, play
its first move and pass turn.

The second robot will know it started second because when it scans the
board there is already a chip there.

Since the game doesn't start until the first chip is dropped the
Arbitrator will start time when the first play robot passes turn.

This should be easy for everyone to implement.  Doesn't require
switching programs or telling the robot which side it's playing in
advance.  And it works for arbitrated games, non-arbitrated games and
games with a human.

For some reason, I was thinking about this today, also.  :)  I agree this needs
to be clear, because VERY few games require this level of start-up cooperation.

Your suggestion:
1) Robot 1 receives Start Game signal from Arbitrator (or external source)
2) Robot 1 makes first move
3) Robot 1 signals EOT
4) [Arbitrator starts game timer and signals Robot 2]
5) Robot 2 makes its first move

There may be a problem if no Arbitrator is used.  Both robot's EOT line are
connected together, so when R1 receives the Start Game signal, both will start,
unless R2 is not RUN until after R1 is making it's first move. (or the sensor
wire is not connected until after R1 is making it's move)

I've also discovered when two RCX sensor lines are connected, polarity matters.
If the line is reversed on one side, both RCXs will read the switch as closed.

Another issue may come up when a robot starts.  It may need to run it's "homey"
code which could include pressing the End of Turn button.

I plan on connecting a polarity switch to the line which will allow the line to
be reversed, and disconnected from external sources, as required.

Some people may need to specify if their robot is going first or second (red or
black), but that shouldn't matter with your starting scheme, and it all looks
good if the arbitrator is used.

Good plan
Steve