 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10467
Re: Starting C4 Games
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 2004 16:08:59 GMT

Steve Hassenplug wrote:
For some reason, I was thinking about this today, also.  :)  I agree this needs
to be clear, because VERY few games require this level of start-up cooperation.

Your suggestion:
1) Robot 1 receives Start Game signal from Arbitrator (or external source)
2) Robot 1 makes first move
3) Robot 1 signals EOT
4) [Arbitrator starts game timer and signals Robot 2]
5) Robot 2 makes its first move

There may be a problem if no Arbitrator is used.  Both robot's EOT line are
connected together, so when R1 receives the Start Game signal, both will start,
unless R2 is not RUN until after R1 is making it's first move. (or the sensor
wire is not connected until after R1 is making it's move)

I've also discovered when two RCX sensor lines are connected, polarity matters.
If the line is reversed on one side, both RCXs will read the switch as closed.

This is why you cannot listen to your end of turn sensor.  There will
only ever be one sensor attached to a sensor port and one port attached
to one sensor.  The will remove all these issues of what happens when
two or more sensor ports are connected together.

The arbitrator has motor driven touch sensors to pass on end of turn.
Doing this will make my suggested starting procedure work in all cases.

Another issue may come up when a robot starts.  It may need to run it's "homey"
code which could include pressing the End of Turn button.

You can only touch your end of turn sensor when it the end or your turn.
  It's that simple.  Now if you wish to startup your robot before
connecting it to the other robot, or the arbitrator, I see no problem
with that.  You can home when your robot starts up, then after the end
of turn sensor is cleared you can connect to the other robot or the
Arbitrator ready to play.

I plan on connecting a polarity switch to the line which will allow the line to
be reversed, and disconnected from external sources, as required.

Use a second touch sensor that you listen to and there will be no problems.

Some people may need to specify if their robot is going first or second (red or
black), but that shouldn't matter with your starting scheme, and it all looks
good if the arbitrator is used.

It is fine to have special starting sequences depending on whether you
are going first or second.  You just have to follow the prescribed
sequence of events.

Derek