 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10473
Re: ATTENTION CALUM TSANG & CHRIS MAGNO (was Re: Starting C4 Games)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:45:23 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Michael Purvis wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Mario DeFacendis wrote:
IMHO, Derek's proposal (although sound) may add another layer of complexity that
people will have to deal with and potentially mess up.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Derek's proposal doesn't seriously
affect what the interface is, only how it's implemented in terms of the actual
arbitrator. You still click a sensor to send the signal, and you still listen
for a click to receive it.

The only difference is that you're not permitted to 'listen in' on the send
sensor.

Derek's proposal changes what a click of your sensor means:

It used to mean:
Your opponent has played a chip... make your move.

It is now proposed to mean:
You opponent has played a chip *OR* this is a brand new game and you have been
chosen to go first... figure out which is which and make your move.

The *OR* part is subtle, and I can see this tripping people up because it
involves different reasons to scan the board.

Hey, I understand the sublties so I'm officially being a dink and casting my
vote for Derek's proposal, hoping that others won't even be able to get their
robot to start a game properly.  :)

Mario

P.S.  Note the smiley.  I am not a dink.  I did raise this concern after all!