 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10478
Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Sun, 18 Jan 2004 22:45:25 GMT

Well it's time to open the can of worms.  The rules state:

"A coin toss by the robot designers decides which robot will start first. The
person who moves first always starts with red game pieces. Each robot is
required to be able to be started manually via RCX buttons as well as awaiting
signal for a second turn start from the Arbitrator. Once the first robot has
finished its turn, it hands off to the Arbitrator, which in turn signals the
other robot to start its turn. The game continues until one RCX declares victory
with a short predetermined beep sequence."

As I interpret the rules, they imply the following:
- a coin toss determines who goes first (and that bot is red)
- the bot programs are both started manually
- the bot who won the toss plays will play its red chip
- the bot who lost the toss waits for the "second turn start from the
Arbitrator" and then plays its black chip

Ok, time to be a wiseguy dink:  The rules say red goes first.  If we adopt the
Derek proposal, I guess that means your chip hopper has to hold both colours and
you need to play red if your first, black if your second?  That's a significant
requirement that I bet no one has considered in their design.  I could have kick
into full blown dink mode and not mention this until game day... but I'm not a
dink.

Once again, I don't care which way it goes because I haven't coded that yet.  My
concerns are twofold:

- I don't want it to change back and forth once I start coding
- Other builders may not be as lucky as me and may be seriously impacted

Mario