 Organizations / Canada / rtlToronto / 10464
  Starting C4 Games

One thing that has not been clearly indicated in the rules is how the connect 4 games will be started. I have what I think is a simple proposal. The game is started by pressing the turn button on the robot that is to go first. If playing with the (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Starting C4 Games

(...) For some reason, I was thinking about this today, also. :) I agree this needs to be clear, because VERY few games require this level of start-up cooperation. Your suggestion: 1) Robot 1 receives Start Game signal from Arbitrator (or external (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Starting C4 Games

(...) I noticed that too. How about we simply agree that everyone connects the arbitrating wire to the sensor with the wire facing away from the display. If someone's design doesn't permit this sort of connection, then it can be easily reversed with (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Starting C4 Games

(...) This is why you cannot listen to your end of turn sensor. There will only ever be one sensor attached to a sensor port and one port attached to one sensor. The will remove all these issues of what happens when two or more sensor ports are (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Starting C4 Games

(...) No we just won't allow this. No sensor ports are to be connected together at any time. Over sort durations we know this doesn't hurt the sensor ports, but we don't know what will happen after a day of game play. Add in the differences of the (...) (21 years ago, 17-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  ATTENTION CALUM TSANG & CHRIS MAGNO (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

This is on the verge of becoming yet another annoying "late breaking rule change". I personally don't care what I have to code in order to make my bot play nicely, but I DON'T want to have to re-code it at the 11th hour when there will certainly be (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: ATTENTION CALUM TSANG & CHRIS MAGNO (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that Derek's proposal doesn't seriously affect what the interface is, only how it's implemented in terms of the actual arbitrator. You still click a sensor to send the signal, and you still listen for a (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: ATTENTION CALUM TSANG & CHRIS MAGNO (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) Derek's proposal changes what a click of your sensor means: It used to mean: Your opponent has played a chip... make your move. It is now proposed to mean: You opponent has played a chip *OR* this is a brand new game and you have been chosen (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: ATTENTION CALUM TSANG & CHRIS MAGNO (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

!!! I SPEAK THUS !!! Dereks Idea is sound. and simple. BUT it does not have to BE the final way!!!!! WHEN you prg your RCX I don't care HOW you tell it if it is the first or second prg. WATCH and be AMAZED at my AWESOME POWERS!!! method 1. ---...--- (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

Ouch! Stop yelling CALUM TSANG and CHRIS MAGNO, I have enough trouble listening to their names in a normal tone. For some reason I missed read the description of the game start the other day. My suggestion is not substantially different, but it's (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: ATTENTION CALUM TSANG & CHRIS MAGNO (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) Yes, you can do this now. Since the turn pass touch sensor is exclusively yours, you can do whatever you like with this senor port. Including using another touch sensor if you so wish. Just remember if you screw up your own robot, you loose. (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: ATTENTION CALUM TSANG & CHRIS MAGNO (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) If you use a remote you must be very careful you don't interfere with the opposing robot. If you both use the same signal to say play first, then there'll be a might crash. This is not C4 sumo. :-) (...) Actually I didn't say anything about (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

Well it's time to open the can of worms. The rules state: "A coin toss by the robot designers decides which robot will start first. The person who moves first always starts with red game pieces. Each robot is required to be able to be started (...) (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) Wouldn't the coin get tossed, the players selected, and then the bots get loaded with the appropriate colors? I don't get it, I think? (21 years ago, 18-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) no you get it, mario is just a bit thick. mario, you listen, I'll talk: I take a canadian coin, (a loonie) (URL) it will be "tossed" someone will be declared first..... each player will be asked if they are ready. between the "call" and "yes (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) Ok, please thin out my skull a bit more... The loonie says I go first and I stack my robot with red chips. So why can't I just select program #2 (the "I go first program" and then press the magic Run button? Why do I have to wait for the (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) What the **c* are you talking about. I've suggested no such thing! Whether you will play first is decided well before you load your robot with chips. That has nothing to do with it. I'm merely suggesting how the robots should be told to start (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) Sorry. I think I understand your confusion now. I suggested the board scan because it means you don't have to have two entry points into you program, and you don't have to explicitly tell your robot whether it's playing first or second. This (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) That's what I understood when I read your message at the root of this thread (repeated here for convenience): <paste> The robot will scan the board, see that there are no chips played, play its first move and pass turn. The second robot will (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) <rule quote> Timing ...The robot may use more or less time for any given move, however, it is recommended that the robot must complete a single move in a maximum of three minutes. </rule quote> Is there a three minute move time limit or is (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: attention Calum Tsang & Chris Magno (was Re: Starting C4 Games)

(...) YES. you are the only one. even in the rules page it says that we all know ahead of time who is first or second, and, by extension, you (the human) have enough time to do what ever is needs to make your robot work. Chris (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

Steve, as much as I hate this: the rule is the rule. I personally don't want any more rule changes now. so the rule pages says 3 min. each player has up to 3 min. to move per turn. !!!!~BUT~!!!!! if two players agree ahead of time, ~!!and have the (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) It's recommended. We didn't want to put in a hardset rule that said "be under three minutes exactly" but we did want to discourage someone who would take 29 minutes or whatever to execute one move. Obviously you're going to have to use your (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) Basically: - Use a move book for the first few plays of the game, so that these are instantaeous decisions. After all, if you're using Alpha-Beta, it's much less effective at pruning earlier in the game. - Try to keep time spent 'doing (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) Right, but I can't go and deliberately say, everyone should try and be fast and rule out other ways of playing the game. Hence, we recommend three minutes or less, not we recommend you hurry the crap up because we're getting bored. I would not (...) (21 years ago, 19-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

WHAT!!! you cant POST THIS!!! this is a SECRET Steve H strategy!!!!!! EVERYONE STOP READING THIS!!!! (...) -- Chris "It is a very clever strategy IMHO, and I applaud Chris for thinking of it." K.C. (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) ARGH!!!! does no one read my POSTS!!! pant, pant, pant, pant... oh, hello Mr. Wall, Mr Desk. How are you? I know its been some time since last we spoke, but I thought we could chat ONCE AGAIN about c$ and ties. you remember. when I spoke (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) I think you need to relax and have a fish sandwich. (URL) Iain (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) I also hate fish! and eggs. Chris "It is a very clever strategy IMHO, and I applaud Chris for thinking of it." K.C. (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) DUDE!!! eggs are bad 'cause of where they come from... think about it... THE BOTTOM OF CHICKENS!!! my god man. the BOTTOM!!! ughn Chris "It is a very clever strategy IMHO, and I applaud Chris for thinking of it." K.C. (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) Dammit, because my next edition was going to be "egg sandwich". Basically you replace the fish and tartar sauce with an egg. Jessi came over and showed me how to do that a few weeks ago when we went skating. Eggs are borderline with me though (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) Put your "pants" back on and relax, man... it's not that no one reads your posts, it's that it's difficult to type responses while laughing that hard. Hope that helps. (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) from the owen, any chance of a photo demonstrating the mess? (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

a> take-a-break.exe (URL) (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) <3 pingu Iain PS - anyone know what resistor I need to put inline with say, 4 LED's in series (I think that works?), to run off the cigarette lighter in my car? I want to put blue or green LED's in the floor area of the Hawk and have 'em give (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) tray (...) No but here is an alternate way I have discovered to thaw a block of butter. First I put the butter in the microwave but the foil caught fire. (URL) I put it on top of my very warm cablemodem, and this has done the trick (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

Note to self: If ever in Toronto visiting the rtl-crowd; Don't let Iain cook. :) (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) YA BABY !!!! watch that birdy fly!!!! oh ansd stroibng bad is gfood rtoo!!!! its hard to type witgh these gloves onb!!! Chris There's no 'I' in 'team'. There's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) I guess that's with out bounce. I have yet to smack that birdie longer then 500 but it's doable - I'm told. (...) Yup. (...) I had a little of a SB-marathon last week watching all 94 episodes. I had seen a few here and there. I loved #43, (...) (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) Update: 574,9 (with bounce) First try efter writing the post above this one. Suppose Chris poked me with his stick-o-muse. (21 years ago, 20-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) Awesome little game Tobbe, thanks! My personal best: 576.3 (with a few bounces) It seems like the laws of projectile motion do not apply to penguidynamics :) John (21 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)

  Re: Attention guys...

(...) Just whacked the bird a whopping 587.1 with several bounces... always hated that Chilly Willy. Now quick, someone find "smack the Americn Idol contestant", because I can feel a 700 brewing. -Nick (21 years ago, 21-Jan-04, to lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto)