 Off-Topic / Geek / 2043
2042  |  2044
Subject:
FreeBSD/Linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.geek
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 20:41:59 GMT

In lugnet.market.services, Richard Marchetti writes:
Todd, can you offer any opinions regarding FreeBSD v. Linux?

I like both.  Linux is what I run at home on my main system.  Linux has
excellent disk write caching, but I think by default it writes things in
disk-spin order rather than temporal data-write order, which could affect
integrity in the rare event of a power failure, but that may also depend
on the disk controller.  I'm sure it must be configurable in Linux if you
need absolute time-ordering of writes.

At work we are
using Linux, but I often hear how FreeBSD is just a tad more stable.

You'll find hardcore FreeBSD folks who swear by it and denonce Linux, and vice
versa.  I'm somewhere in the middle, but leaning toward Linux for workstation
stuff and FreeBSD for server stuff.

I've had Linux crash a couple of times in the past 6 months, but I think it
was due to an XFree86 issue resulting from a memory leak in Netscape Navigator.
I'm not sure if it was XFree86 that locked up or the Linux kernel -- I wasn't
able to Alt-Shift-F1 to find out.  Generally it has been quite nice to me.

Never noticed any problems with FreeBSD in 2+ years except for cron has exited
twice during an out-of-memory situation, which may or may not have been by
design.  It seemed odd, anyway.

Of course, Linux has all this buzz going for it.  Whaddaya think?  How has
FreeBSD served Lugnet over time (and I guess I am recalling the downtime some
months back when you and Suz were otherwise preoccupied)?

I would probably be comfortable running a world-viewable webserver on either
one.

--Todd