 Marketplace / Services / 161
Re: BrickBay Enhancement (was Re: PayPal only in USA?!?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:51:59 GMT

The problem is getting someone to buy from you in the first place, sometimes
it will take a while before things start rolling.

If your site sits there for months and nothing moves, you have to foot the
bill for each month's worth of non-movement.

Cheers ...

Geoffrey Hyde

SRC <SteveRC@StarTrekMail.com> wrote in message
Get a pal in the US to factor for you. Someone who has time and who is
around a lot.  Right now I am a month behind on getting factor forms
processed (because I discovered one I missed, else I would be only 2
weeks behind, but still...) so not me.

Actually, I was thinking that you and Dan Jezek could combine services,
or BrickBay could add "factoring" and act like a bank the way PayPal
does.  I suggested this to Dan, and that I could post about it and see • what
people think, and he said sure, get that thread started.  So here it is. • :-)

PayPal only works in the USA, so the rest of the LUGrs of the world need
a similar service to easily transfer funds to pay for LEGO.  If BrickBay
were to accept funds by cheque, PayPal, etc. in addition to the • "cyberLEGO",
things would be greatly simplified.  Rather than a shop having to handle
dozens of money-orders, etc. from each buyer, one payment could be made
at the end of the month from BrickBay to the shop owner.  Dan's cut would
be a breeze to administer, and buyers could shop in multiple stores and
only have to send a single money-order or cheque or cash (or PayPal).

Trading would be the best way to use the system.  Let's say I buy $10
(including postage) worth of parts from each of five different shops on
BrickBay, but I also have a shop with some older sets in it, and a few
shoppers buy some of my sets totaling $72.  A few columns in the • spreadsheet
are adjusted, and ta-da, everybody's LEGO is paid for, and I've got $20 or
so to go and do some more shopping sometime.  In the meantime, Dan keeps
the interest earned on the left-over funds sitting there, just like • PayPal.

The physical shipping of the LEGO would still be directly between the
buyer and the seller of course, with e-mails confirming receipt.  It
seems like the proverbial "no brainer" to me, but it of course assumes
that Dan is willing and able to take on the additional responsibility (and
commission) that such an upgrade would entail.  What do others think?

I would especially like to hear from you Larry, as well as Tom - I mean
TODD 8-) - and of course Dan the man himself.

SRC