 Marketplace / Services / 176
Re: BrickBank ! (was Re: BrickBay Enhancement )
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.services
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 14:37:47 GMT

Jon: You've got your own site (BAYLIT), and you seem happy doing your
thing.  That's great.  I just felt the need to address some of your
comments.

In lugnet.market.services, Jon Kozan wrote:

Brickbay is great, but it still doesn't answer the needs most builders have for
volume parts.

Is that because of Brickbay's design/services, or just because people
aren't selling in quantities that you consider 'bulk'?  If it's the latter,
that's not a problem with Brickbay.

Case in Point - the new 3723 set. I'm sure there's some unique parts in that
monstrosity, but most if it can probably be duplicated with a couple of bulk
tubs. And they want what??? $160 (including shipping) (gasp, gag) That's a real
set-design markup there. (I digress...)

I don't see what this has to do with Brickbay...

[BAYLIT] is just about to move, on the next update, to an Access database.
Excel doesn't cut it. I have too many columns of sets.

Access doesn't really cut it, either.  But that's your concern, and not
germane to this discussion.

Sure it's not real time, but I have soo many parts, I am out of stock rather
rarely.

Brickbay maintains your inventory, realtime.  This is based on orders
placed, not actual fulfillment.  So if you have a deal that falls through,
you'll have to backfill.

If I sold $500 a month on Brickbay, I'd exceed my current monthly internet
access, email, and space fees.  (and with Brickbay I'd still need 'net access
and email) ... I sell a bit over that.

If you sold $500 a month on Brickbay, your time savings would probably be
worth the $10.00 you'd pay in commission.

My take on Brickbay:  I've got a process that allows me to run small parts
sales (thousands of pieces), fairly painlessly.  Brickbay still will save
me time over my homegrown process.  And expose my inventory to potentially
many more buyers (especially because I'm only an occasional seller).  And I
don't have to spend as much time on overhead tasks.

Steve