 Off-Topic / Debate / 26802
Re: Ya wanna talk about legislating morality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 17:51:54 GMT

   More to the point is the guys doing the legislation want to lock things down but doin’t know where that line is--

That’s key, IMO. If we’re all so fond of Absolute Morality, why are our Duly Elected Representatives so reluctant to address these society-damning issues in absolutely clear terms? Especially if, as we’re endlessly told by Dobson, Falwell, and other radical clerics, we are One Nation Under God with indelible Judeo-Christian roots.

Why is it okay for Oprah to joke in graphic detail about the nature of her bowel movements, but Howard Stern is heavily fined for doing the same?

   Your idea of personal responsibility could be different than mine, so where does that get us?

Where it has always gotten us: might makes right. It may not be a pleasing or popular truth, but it has always been and continues to be true. The only difference, over the millenia, lies in what constitutes “might.”

Dave!