 Off-Topic / Debate / 26810
Re: Ya wanna talk about legislating morality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 18:36:44 GMT

   More to the point is the guys doing the legislation want to lock things down but doin’t know where that line is--

That’s key, IMO. If we’re all so fond of Absolute Morality, why are our Duly Elected Representatives so reluctant to address these society-damning issues in absolutely clear terms? Especially if, as we’re endlessly told by Dobson, Falwell, and other radical clerics, we are One Nation Under God with indelible Judeo-Christian roots.

Absolute Morality boils down to how we treat each other. This is directly related to issues of respect and responsibility. A breakdown on either side of the equation (you verses me) creates societal rifts.

And that’s a way of looking at it. But again, to make the case--how is a texas high school cheerleader affecting you directly? And how is ‘some’ Shakespeare affecting you?

I choose not to read things I’m not interested in reading. I choose to nt spend my money and time watching competitive sports. Those are the options I choose to take to limit my exposure to things I’m not interested in seeing.

Personal responisbility, for those that missed the point, is personal--not judicial, federal or anything else--it’s personal.

To start passing laws under the guise of protecting the little children is perposterous. History has taught us that clearly--trying to pass laws for banning specific themed oriented books (or specific authors) due to sexual preferences is exactly how the gov’t of Germany got their foot in the door in the ‘30’s.

We don’t need to start setting limits of information--personal responsibility comes from making your decision based on all available information.

A small example from my personal life--I’m a Christian (shocking to most) but I also do not stand up and proclaim ‘Pro Life or else!’. THe reason is I cannot even comprehend what a 16 year old girl is going thru when she finds out she’s pregnant. It’s unfathomable to me, and, as such, I cannot justify telling her that she must be ‘pro life!’. The decision rests between her, her doctor, her God (if she believes) and her family (if she lets them know about it). I would rather her have *all* information and then make an informed decision.

But here’s where my personal responsibility comes into it (and this had greater meaning back when I was younger than it does now, for somewhat obvious reasons)--I personally would not put a girl in a situation where this agonizing decision would have to be made. That’s my personal responsibility.

   Why is it okay for Oprah to joke in graphic detail about the nature of her bowel movements, but Howard Stern is heavily fined for doing the same?

Eeeeuuu. Both are equally disgusting!

Yeah, but one was fined thousands of thousands of dollars and the other one is still on the air yapping about it.

   Your idea of personal responsibility could be different than mine, so where does that get us?

Where it has always gotten us: might makes right. It may not be a pleasing or popular truth, but it has always been and continues to be true. The only difference, over the millenia, lies in what constitutes “might.”

So you are saying that whoever is in power gets to set the rules? But aren’t those in power elected and thus, presumably, reflect the sentiments of the people?

JOHN

I won’t even touch that one.

Dave K