 Off-Topic / Debate / 26832
Re: Ya wanna talk about legislating morality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 20:10:30 GMT

   Maybe, if it weren’t for that whole pesky “faith” thing...

But you can’t just play in your little room of Science and have no opinions about concrete things that Science cannot address. I am speaking about Creation.

You lost me there. What’s a concrete thing that science can’t address?

   But that construction breaks from the “absolute” as soon as human faith comes into it. An actual revelation for you is just hearsay for me, so that’s where “absolute” falls apart.

We have been given intellects, and some revelation along the way. Heck, we may even be hardwired to God via our consciences.

Hmm? Hardwired how? Hardwired to believe in him (in spite of free will?) Or hardwired to want to believe in him? Not me.

   We can achieve enlightenment if we have God as our source of inspiration (what do you supposed fueled the Renaissance in the first place?)

Approximately one zillion things fueled the Renaissance, which culminated with the Enlightenment so thoroughly despised by the Right.

   Lacking a true, transcendent, and verifiable absolute, we’re only left with consensus, and for that we need no higher power.

But then we are like the blind leading the blind; trying to navigate in a storm at sea, without a compass. Truth rings free, and respectful, honest, and humble people should recognize it.

Well, that’s witnessing, of course. It’s also mildly misanthropic, a la “Life is a vale of tears” (so don’t bother trying to understand it).

No, thanks. If there is an absolute truth, we have no way to ascertain it short of direct, personal revelation for each of us individually. Short of that, we’re just as well off to assume that it doesn’t exist, since we can’t know it anyway.

Having gotten past that, we realize again that we’re all in the same boat, so let’s try to make it pleasant for as many people as possible.

Dave!