 Off-Topic / Debate / 26800
Re: Ya wanna talk about legislating morality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 17:38:03 GMT

   I hope the ‘better minds’ will prevail in Texas, where legislation is being passed in which cheerleaders aren’t allowed to ‘shake their booty’ anymore--

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/05/05/cheerleaders.law.reut/index.html

In both these issues--the banning of books and the cheerleader thing the idea--“we’re not sure what constitutes ‘over the line’” was implied.

Everyone wants freedom, but no one is willing to take responsibility for their actions, and so the GP is forced to control irresponsible people’s behavior through their representatives, their elected government officials.

We live in a free society, but that doesn’t mean we are free to do whatever the hell we want.

JOHN

More to the point is the guys doing the legislation want to lock things down but doin’t know where that line is--“banning ‘some’ Shakespeare”--which parts? Banning some cheerleader moves--which moves.

So it’s not that people aren’t accepting personal responsibility (and that’s a good topic for another time), it’s that now we’re getting legisiation on the books where there’s no definitive ‘here’s the line’, thus leaving things up to interpretation, and pretty soon we’ll be back to the ‘50’s where girls skirts have to touch the floors if they’re on their knees ‘cause that’s how the VP interpreted the law.

Here’s something--libertarians get in on this--less gov’t intervention--stop legislating morality!

Your idea of personal responsibility could be different than mine, so where does that get us?

Dave K