 Off-Topic / Debate / 26818
Re: Ya wanna talk about legislating morality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 19:12:02 GMT

snip

   Once you want government to regulate PART of society (oh, I dunno, say... subsidise health care, or legislate guns out of existance for you, or redistribute income to make outcomes “fairer”) you’ve let the camel’s nose in the tent.

Just to pick one example, health care subsidies lead to regulations about what you can eat, how and when you must wear your seatbelts, and what paint you can use on your models (and many other things too), because, after all, we have to minimise health care COSTS!!!

YOu guys don’t have ‘socialized health care’ but the last time I checked, there are seatbelt laws in the US.

And not once during my (almost) 38 years has the gov’t told mw what I can and cannot eat, but that’s parenthetical to the point.

Seatbelts save lives. That said, I personally believe that seat belt laws should be abolished or at least limited to those under 18 years old (like the bike helmet laws here in Ontario).

Furthermore, I have no problem with socialized health care (as stated numerous times) for it allows me more freedom--expecially that freedom from anxiety when and if I become ill. That’s worth the taxation, imho.

Another thing that you might have missed is that a healthy society costs less than an unhealthy one. Sure our system isn’t perfect (and supposedly Alberta is initating talks to improve it), but if I feel ill and can go to the hospital whenever I want without worrying where the money to pay for the trip is coming from, I’ll save ‘society’ in the long run ‘cause the chances I’ll get ‘whatever’ treated earlier, thus saving a greater expenditure in the long run...

I’m quite content to ‘not throw the baby out with the bathwater’--advocate personal responsibility whilst having my social contracts with society. I can see how they can exist in the same country and everyone’s better for it. This ‘all or nothing’ mentality is the true evil--whether ‘all republican views’ or ‘all libertarian ideals’--it’s a load of dingo’s kidneys if you ask me--harmony is the true nature of life--and nature proves it to us time and time again--balance is needed between the various ideals--not exclusivity.

And the guns. Well people, you can have ‘em. Just like Linus needs his safety blanky, y’all need your guns. I’m leaving that one alone from now on.

Dave K