 Off-Topic / Debate / 26825
Re: Ya wanna talk about legislating morality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 19:43:03 GMT

   Is there anything you want to tell me? 8^)

Yeah, that you are closer to being a Theist than you realize! :-)

Maybe, if it weren’t for that whole pesky “faith” thing...

But you can’t just play in your little room of Science and have no opinions about concrete things that Science cannot address. I am speaking about Creation.

   By the way, Absolute Morality in this construction exists just fine without appeals to a higher, supernatural power.

I disagree. The fact that it comes from a higher, supernatural power is where it gets its justification and authority.

But that construction breaks from the “absolute” as soon as human faith comes into it. An actual revelation for you is just hearsay for me, so that’s where “absolute” falls apart.

We have been given intellects, and some revelation along the way. Heck, we may even be hardwired to God via our consciences. We can achieve enlightenment if we have God as our source of inspiration (what do you supposed fueled the Renaissance in the first place?)

   Lacking a true, transcendent, and verifiable absolute, we’re only left with consensus, and for that we need no higher power.

But then we are like the blind leading the blind; trying to navigate in a storm at sea, without a compass. Truth rings free, and respectful, honest, and humble people should recognize it.

JOHN