 Off-Topic / Debate / 26853
Re: Ya wanna talk about legislating morality?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 20:41:53 GMT

   I thought we all had agreed that Science had nothing to say about Creation. But certainly you can’t deny that it occured. Creation is the elephant in the room of Science.

I don’t think that’s quite right.

On the one hand, let’s think about lightning for a second. We have a pretty good idea how that gets generated nowadays. But for a long time science had nothing to say on the matter. Not enough data. Hence, to definitively say “it comes from Zeus” merely because science couldn’t yet formulate an opinion would’ve been rather foolish.

But you’re right insofar as creation is a bit different. It’s historical. And for all intents and purposes, science has nothing to say about *ANYTHING* historical. Strictly speaking, I can’t prove I existed yesterday. I can show you footsteps that match my shoe size, and phone records of people I called. I can show you where my fingerprints show up, and carbon dating can suggest that they were left yesterday. But can science prove that those fingerprints and phone records didn’t suddenly just pop into existence via metaphysics? Nope. But science would show that it was *likely* that I existed yesterday, thanks to doing the same tests again today and on into the future, which would suggest that I *did* exist at that time.

By the same token, science may at some point in the future understand the origin of the universe ad infinitum. Probably not in our lifetimes, but it’s possible. Suppose science showed that it was likely that the universe is cyclic? That the exact same universe exists again and again? That there really is no “beginning” or “end”, but that it’s on eternal repeat mode? What if we can construct a model based on complex physics engines, that can extrapolate the history of the universe successfully, and prove that they align themseleves perfectly with other visible evidence?

You’re right, science has no *direct* evidence of ANY historical event. But there are plenty of *indirect* sources which we may yet use to suggest scientific origins of the universe.

DaveE