 Off-Topic / Debate / 26801
Re: Who the devil are we to lecture on 'nucular' non-proliferation? (careful, long rant)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 17:44:20 GMT

   re: 2nd Amendment

   Put the power (nuclear or otherwise) in the hands of the people.

That too. I think the second admendment goes up to personal tanks in applicability...

I know we’ve all discussed this before, and I confess that I don’t have a clear concept of what’s appropriate for whom to possess, but I have I have question about the history of this interpretation.

How did the founding fathers feel about private, individual ownership and use of artillery pieces? Practically speaking, I think that these were the pinnacle of land-portable weapons technology of the day; was ownership permitted to anyone (well, to any white, land-owning male, I guess) who could afford it?

On a philosophical note, if the FF could have foreseen the level of man-portable destructive capability that would arise, might they have worded the 2nd differently? Which is a greater power, in real-world terms: the ability to tax interstate commerce, or the ability to blow up a city?

Not making any judgment--just pondering.

Dave!