 Off-Topic / Debate / 26791
26790  |  26792
Subject:
Who the devil are we to lecture on 'nucular' non-proliferation? (careful, long rant)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2005 07:39:52 GMT

I see the non-proliferation talks got off to a happy start, demanding that the Iranians and North Koreans give up or do differently their nuclear programmes for peaceful power generation/weapons research/weapons production (as the case may be).

Even as a non-nuclear country, our (Australian) foreign affairs boys have weighed in on the side of peace and stability (read “no-one else can have the bomb or anything in its general direction”). We did all we could to get the bomb in the 50’s and 60’s, with the British changing their mind and not giving it to us, before accepting US/UK promises that they would defend us if nuclear fun and games were required (something which helps explain our no mercy, whatever it takes approach to the American alliance).

By what right do we demand this limitation on Iranian and North Korean aspirations, limitations that the nuclear powers obviously did not/do not feel the need to apply to themselves? Our national interest might be a compelling motivation for us, but one can understand how it might not appeal to them so much.

And while we joke and smirk about what these poor countries really mean when they talk about ‘peaceful’ uses and ‘defensive’ weapons its probably well to remind ourselves that none of the nuclear powers bothered with such sophistry at the time they were developing their own nuclear arsenals. The sophistry is only inspired by the nuclear powers’ demands as to what other weaker countries should and shouldn’t do.

And and before we complain that they are in breach of guidelines, we might think about how the nuclear disarmament programmes that were to dramatically reduce the numbers of offensive weapons to negligible levels have really just not, and how the prohibitions designed to halt nuclear weapons research in the developed world have just not.

In the meantime, Israel bulks up its American supplied offensive capability to go into Iran and sort out Iranian nuclear facilities as it did in Iraq in 1981 (Indeed, ‘81 was a big year for American support for Israel too). It might prove a little more problematic this time with the Iranians having had the good sense to have learned from the Americans (and not from the Iraqis) to put much of its stuff underground, and to build an entirely serviceable mid range missile capability. The Israeli F16s and F15s will get back ok, but landing strips could be harder to find. Interestingly, Sharon says Israel won’t attack, but Cheney says they might. What is it with that?

Its a tricky thing.

There’s no doubt that the world is more stable with less nuclear weapons.

And there is a good argument that (Western) countries with much to lose are less likely to use these weapons. Its only places or people with not much to lose or the real prospect of losing everything that find these weapons attractive.

So we can try (and very very likely fail as we have before) to address the capability side, or we can try to address the motivation side.

North Korea is on the US’s publicly announced hit list and feels, with some historical support, that the only thing the American administration respects is might, and so they are scrabbling to get some. If I was them, so would I.

Iran is bordered by one country with nuclear weapons which is in a state of undeclared war with one of its (also nuclear armed) neighbours (much as this might be starting to come good in the last three months), and two countries that have been invaded and occupied by the West in the last 10 years, the latter of which was invaded under false pretenses and is currently in a state of occupation and insurgency, if not in fact civil war. If I was them, I’d be looking for something that would make a difference to folks’ strategic thinking too.

It all reminds me of the kerfuffle in the UK over the Whinash wind farm project, the clean power it could generate for for 47,000 homes, and how we wax and wane over balancing the environment, the local amenity, and the profitability of green power generation, while no one seems interested that the savings in carbon emissions amount to less than what a single 747 creates on its daily run from London to Miami and back - we’re looking at the wrong end of the problem.

What it wants is for these ‘rogue’ nations to not be hungry. But for them to get wealthier fast enough to make a diffference, the rest of us would need to take a lifestyle hit, and that’s just not in our national interest. Aid (that is not linked to ideology), trade (that allows them to build up their own industries), respect (including an end to pre-emption), an economic price for oil (supply and demand for extracive industries is a tricky thing, but hardly a new science, and hardly how it works now), investment (without debilitating and destabilising capital markets deregulation), a currency exchange system defended from speculators who produce nothing of any use to anyone other than themselves, access to first world medicines (without the royalty premium) - opportunities to actually advance the situation abound, but they all cost.

Sometimes, just jumping up and down on the suitcase will simply never get it closed. Either you have a think about what’s really important and leave out some of the less important things, or the suitcase breaks. Then what have you achieved?

Richard
(Who suffers recurrent realisations of Monbiot’s vision of humanity on Earth, as so much yeast in a barrel, obliviously feeding and farting itself to death)