 Off-Topic / Debate / 26846
Re: 'changing countries to be free' (was Re: Who the devil)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 6 May 2005 06:13:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Richard Parsons wrote:

<snip>

   Besides, I think its been discussed even here at length that trying to ‘change a country to be free’ from the outside is fraught, and historically has a low rate of enduring success.

Really? Try selling that argument to a German or Japanese person-- I don’t buy it.

   That said, even if I was looking to make countries free, folks need to seize their freedom.

You mean like turning out by the millions against, in some cases, fear of death, to vote?

   By far most of the enduring democracies did. If one looks at the factors that gave rise to a people siezing their freedom, it is often around things that depend on wealth and living standards - these are indeed part of what I am driving at. These are the things that enable people to look up, and strive.

Iraq has plenty wealth to live for in its ground.

   These are also the things that make governments more long term in their thinking and more accountable for their activities, even if the countries are not free in the American sense.

Don’t parse that. For one thing, there is no accountability for a despot.

   Regardless, its not democracy that makes countries sensible in their use of nuclear weapons (if we can assume for the moment, against the evidence, that we can treat the US, UK, France, USSR and China say, as sensible users of nuclear weapons),

Say again? Only one country you listed ever “used” a nuclear weapon. What “evidence” are you talking about? And how does one use a nuclear weapon sensibly, if not as a deterrent?

   its their wealth and power, their opportunity to achieve at least reasonable outcomes in line with their aspirations by non-nuclear means.

Leaving countries poor, isolated, powerless, at the mercy of other countries national interest, and with a real risk of invasion hanging over their heads is what leads to actions that the wealthy think of as irresponsible.

You’ve completely lost me. So, are you arguing that wealthy countries should come to the aid of the less fortunate, or not?

   This is what we ought to be addressing, and my humble list is only a short incomplete summary of what can be done, if only we want to.

Your humble list? Honestly, I didn’t even follow what you were actually proposing.

   But I do appreciate that its much more heroic and makes for much better coverage on Fox news to be sallying forth with force of arms and economic sanctions to rescue the poor oppressed many from the brutal wealthy few, and deliver them Freedom.

Nobody is going to deny that the US deposed SH out of self-interest. It just happened to be in the best interests of the whole world that such a nutjob with such vast resources at his disposal was taken out as well. A no-brainer.

   Never mind that western living standards are built on the broken backs of these same poor oppressed many,

Yawn. Spare me the demagoguery.

   or that there are plenty of poor oppressed many held down by a wealthy few even in our own home countries,

Cites?

   or even that there is little or no reason to suspect that these heroic efforts will do any good at all (beyond supporting the aforesaid western living standards).

Germany? Japan? Okay, I’ll concede France. Your pessimism WRT Iraq is disgusting, if not totally ignorant.

   And while we’re watching the glorious coverage of the heroic efforts, we can skip the stories about how we are gobbling up the very resources that our children and the poor oppressed many we’re going to save will need tomorrow

Which stories, which resources? How do you even know what resources we will need in the future?

   (if we ever succeed in saving them).

Please, I’m begging you.

   Its very neat, and hangs to gether wonderfully if you don’t think too hard.

I think that you’re thinking too hard!

   In the meantime, I understand that its Driving season in the US (something we just don’t seem to have here),

Sorry to hear that. I’m actually looking forward to getting some rounds in this summer...

   so there’ll be plenty of cheap gasoline,

Supply and demand. It will only be cheap if people decide not to use it.

   amusement park rides and supersized meals to be consumed to while away the hours.

That kind of sarcasm might be considered clever where you’re from, but not so much here.

JOHN