 Off-Topic / Debate / 25977
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:36:57 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Cynthia Bradham wrote:

   The point I was trying to make is that identifying gene/s that are involved in sexual orientation preferences is no small task, and even finding an associated gene would be just the first step.

Yeah, I got all that and I hope I wasn’t diluting your point.

   There are some genes that are rearranged later in life, mostly in the immune system. Some immune-like proteins also exist in the brain, and could be subject to rearrangements as well. No one really understands exactly how these genes get rearranged (like, is it random or directed?), but it is within the realm of possibility that some rearrangements could be triggered by environmental or behavioral cues. A bit far-fetched, granted. That being said, sexuality is an extremely complex thing, and is probably not controlled by any single gene.

That’s super-cool. I had no idea. Is there a term for this phenomenon that I can google for?

Chris