 Off-Topic / Debate / 26001
26000  |  26002
Subject:
Genetics and SF (was Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 00:04:06 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Cynthia Bradham wrote:

See also the novels of Greg Bear, who seems to riff on some of this stuff quite a bit. You might just get a lot of confused views rather than good solid scientific info but you might just enjoy the reads... (I just finished Vitals which definitely played around with some of these ideas quite thrillingly)

I love Greg Bear, also good are Darwin’s Radio and Blood Music.

Those, in fact (along with Darwin’s Children) were what I was thinking of as well. I just finished Blood Music and I have to say while I found the science very interesting, I sort of didn’t like the ending of the story. The whole last half of the book felt tacked on, like that was the part added to expand a short story into a book.

I think you can’t go wrong with ANY of the “Killer B’s”(1) as they style themselves, although I think Brin is my favorite. Uplift is such a radically cool milleau. Plus he had a really good non fiction book on privacy in the digital age. (2)

But we may be deviating from .debate! :-)

1 - Greg Bear, Gregory Benford, and David Brin... see, for example this open letter which is an interesting letter in its own right

2 - maybe an excerpt?