 Off-Topic / Debate / 25992
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:38:25 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Cynthia Bradham wrote:
   This incredible process was discovered when people began to realize that we each have too many different antibody proteins, and that our DNA isn’t long enough to encode them all. Eventually they figured out that each antibody-producing cell rearranges it’s DNA to produce a unique antibody gene & protein.

Okay, so that works on an individual celular level, with cells that have evolved specifically to do this. Do you really think something as tied to the core psychology of self as sexual orientation would be post-natally programmable at the genetic level? Especially considering the number of people who end up identifying as homosexual in spite of living in geographic areas where such lifestyles are subject to violent oppression?

I can see the logic behind the males of certain species (like lions) exhibiting bi tendencies as a means of enforcing social dominance, but there’s no evolutionary benefit that I can possibly think of for a certain percentage of rams to only prefer going after other rams and completely ignoring any nearby ewes which might be in heat. No, I think if it had proven to be purely psychological, it would be a post-natal development, but the sheep studies have shown that there is a significant difference in brain structure, not just brain activity.