 Off-Topic / Debate / 25963
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 00:59:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Cynthia Bradham wrote:

   Maybe a gene that sorts with gay people is a result and not a cause of gayness.

Cynthia, can you hypothesize a mechanism by which this might be true? I would have thought that gene replication happens before anything else that might potentially cause gayness.

Chris

Hi Chris, well, strictly speaking, I meant a gene expressed in gay people as opposed to straight people, or expressed more or less highly between the 2 different groups. Any number of mechanisms could account for such an occurance (probably via signaling in response to neurotransmitters), but I am no expert on neurology, so I don’t want to speculate. I don’t know how sexual behavior affects neurochemistry, although it surely does. It is also possible that a given gene may have a mutation that sorts with gayness, but again, you would still need to prove causality and not coincidence. In that case, the mutation would exist before the person was born. There are some genes that are rearranged later in life, mostly in the immune system. Some immune-like proteins also exist in the brain, and could be subject to rearrangements as well. No one really understands exactly how these genes get rearranged (like, is it random or directed?), but it is within the realm of possibility that some rearrangements could be triggered by environmental or behavioral cues. A bit far-fetched, granted. That being said, sexuality is an extremely complex thing, and is probably not controlled by any single gene. The point I was trying to make is that identifying gene/s that are involved in sexual orientation preferences is no small task, and even finding an associated gene would be just the first step. Cyndi