 Off-Topic / Debate / 25912
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:19:31 GMT

   Gay community, meaning G/L/B/T?

Yes, for purposes of this discussion, GLBT. Gay is confusing because although many non-GLBT people use it to cover gays AND lesbians (though probably not TG people), within the community it usually means specifically gay men. That’s why the L has to be in there :-)

   A personal who grows up heterosexual, and, for whatever reason, decides to forsake that and lead a gay lifestyle. I’m assuming this is possible-- that they weren’t just repressing their gayness until a later point in life.

I wouldn’t rule it out as completely impossible, but my assumption would be that someone who lives as heterosexual but later comes out as gay, was at least bisexual from the start. Whether someone can identify themselves *to themselves* as gay from an early age depends on a lot of things, including the attitudes of the surrounding culture (if it’s seen as a terrible thing, there is more need to hide the fact from oneself and others) and simply having the information that “people like that” exist. Amazing though it may seem, I grew up in the UK and didn’t know until I went off to University at 18. Took me even longer to discover that transgendered people existed.

I find it very hard to believe that someone who is heterosexual could wake up one day and decide to be homosexual. Could you do it John? I know I couldn’t do the reverse.

Kevin