 Off-Topic / Debate / 25906
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:42:46 GMT

   What I’m pretty sure is that homosexuality is not normal-- that is, normative. It is the exception, and not on par with heterosexuality, as suggested by some. I don’t say this to be mean, merely as an observation of the GP.

“Normative: That which is not perceived or experienced by members of a society as odd, peculiar, outlandish, or even as deserving of unusual attention, because either: (a) it is culturally typical, conventional, and encountered commonly in the societal mainstream; and /or (b) due to typical cultural experiences, the phenomenon is well within the range of the “expectable” or consistent with an aspired norm, even if the norm is rarely actualized or attained”

John, normative is entirely culturally based, and on a specific society’s culture at that. By that definition, there have been throughout history, and are today, societies and subcultures where being gay *is* normative, as well as those where it is not.

As for normal, I wouldn’t dispute that there are a lot fewer homosexuals around than there are heterosexuals, whatever set of numbers you work from. That doesn’t make homosexuality not normal, any more than the fact that there are very few natural redheads around makes them not normal.

If you define normal as being “like the majority of people” then no, gays are not normal, nor are people with blue eyes, geniuses, adults who like to play with LEGO, farmers, pilots, murderers, monks, and just about every other category of people you like to name.

If you define normal as being “something which can be expected to occur”, then all those categories above are normal along with many others. Cars break down very seldom on a per-mile basis, but it’s normal for them to do so.

Now a rain of LEGO frogs, that I’d say is not normal!

Kevin