 Off-Topic / Debate / 25909
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 03:45:39 GMT

   A personal who grows up heterosexual, and, for whatever reason, decides to forsake that and lead a gay lifestyle. I’m assuming this is possible-- that they weren’t just repressing their gayness until a later point in life.

I wouldn’t count on it. I had a friend in college who was very close to getting married when he finally stopped fooling himself with delusions of heterosexuality. A lot of our mutual friends were about as surprised as they are when they see the sun rise each morning. The last time I saw him, he’d made a few million on the dotcom boom, moved to Australia, and was in a very stable gay relationship.

I also knew someone through the college theatre department who, after starting college, decided to let his sexuality determine itself (I can’t remember exactly how he stated it, but the general idea was that he wasn’t going to try to be either gay or straight and would just let things sort themselves out). In his case, I can’t think of anyone who wasn’t completely shocked to find out that when we first met him he’d actually considered himself to be straight.