 Off-Topic / Debate / 25954
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 18:27:00 GMT

"Christopher Weeks" <clweeks@eclipse.net> wrote in message
news:I4CF8K.GxD@lugnet.com...
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Pelletier wrote:
Many bisexual women identify as Lesbians for political reasons...

This is a question for anyone who has an educated opinion...I seriously • don't
know.

Why does it seem relatively more common for women to be openly bi than • men?  I
know lots of bi women, relatively few bi men, and more gay men than • lesbians.
Is that a coincidence of my own singular experience, or a trend?  If there • are
more bi women than men, is it just because of the relative level of social
acceptance or is it more acceptable for women _because_ there are more of • them?
It seems like a tricky chicken or the egg kind of problem.

Hmm, the difference in acceptability could be due to a difference in
function. Cynthia pointed out that many male animals use homosexual sex as a
dominance game. Her example of female homosexual sex was suggested to be for
bonding. That would suggest males would feel threatened by homosexuality
more so than females.

Frank