 Off-Topic / Debate / 25898
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 01:45:54 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kevin Wilson wrote:
   John wrote in message ...
   In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Pelletier wrote:

   This may be a surprise to you, but you don’t have to have sex to be gay. That distinction really needs to be made.

That does surprise me. Now I’m curious-- what does made someone gay? Merely the fact that they are attracted to the same sex?

Basically, yes. But some people distinguish between homosexual (attracted to the same sex) and gay (attracted to the same sex and itentifying themselves as part of the gay community).

Gay community, meaning G/L/B/T?

   What about heterosexuals who “opt into” the lifestyle? What makes them gay?

Not sure what you mean here John - how does a heterosexual opt into the gay lifestyle?

A personal who grows up heterosexual, and, for whatever reason, decides to forsake that and lead a gay lifestyle. I’m assuming this is possible-- that they weren’t just repressing their gayness until a later point in life.

   Do you mean all the traditionally gay “swishy” things (or if female, dykey butch things), but not actually wanting sex with the same gender? I’m a bit confused here.

lol Now I’m confused:-) I hope the above clarifies my question!

JOHN