 Off-Topic / Debate / 25893
Re: New poll: sexuality and Lugnet
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:24:33 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Orion Pobursky wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Pelletier wrote:

   This may be a surprise to you, but you don’t have to have sex to be gay. That distinction really needs to be made.

That does surprise me. Now I’m curious-- what does made someone gay? Merely the fact that they are attracted to the same sex?

Let’s turn the tables on that question. What makes someone hetero? Merely the fact that they are attracted to the opposite sex?

If the answer is no to the above questions does that mean that virgins are neither homosexual or heterosexual but stuck in some asexual limbo?

-Orion

John asked a simple question which I think is a common misconception. It can be summed up with a few definitions which should help clarify (and these definitions are scholarly, you can disagree with them if you wish - I’m just putting out there what I have learned)

sexual orientation - something inborn and something which cannot change. This has no relationship to actual behavior. sexual identity - what someone identifies with to other people. I could call myself straight but actually have my orientation be “gay” but not be ready to deal with it. Many bisexual women identify as Lesbians for political reasons and many straight men and women identify as such but are actually bisexual by orientation.

Any sexual behavior or acts fall under the “identity” category, not orientation. Hope that clears it up a little bit. Its a (very) confusing subject.