 Off-Topic / Debate / 25911
Re: Lavender Brick Society
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:15:18 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Laswell wrote:

   The way I read his original comment was that despising LGBTs and their lifestyles is genetically built into humankind, despite the fact that much of the modern world disproves his theory.

Specifically, the revulsion of heterosexuals by the idea of engaging in homosexual sex.

You’ve asked them all, have you? I would say many heterosexuals would probably have such revulsion, but I wouldn’t be arrogant enought to assume they ALL do.

Well, the ones that didn’t I wouldn’t categorize as “heterosexual”, but as “heterosexual with homosexual tendencies”, or some other such qualification.

Even if they are only attracted to women, and only sleep with women? There is nothing in the definition of heterosexual that says you have to be REPULSED by homosexuality.

How much “homosexual tendency” does a heterosexual have to have before you no longer consider them heterosexual? What about heterosexuals that are forced to live for long periods without access to the opposite sex (think prison)?

So, are you saying that heterosexuals in prison who engage in homosexual sex are still heterosexuals? This is an interesting distinction and I have heard it before among Latin men. They believe that they can have sex with a Gay man (they, however, being the dominant partner) but still consider themselves “straight”. This idea of separating orientation from behavior doesn’t parse for me. These people are clearly bisexual.

   How many homosexual thoughts do they have before you no longer consider them heterosexual? If they have homosexual relationships in prison, then go back to heterosexual relationships on the outside but they no longer think homosexuality is as bad as when they went in, do you still consider they have homosexual tendencies?

That is why I spoke of homosexuality in terms of behavior. Straight men having sex together means that they are engaging in homosexual behavior. In this case, presumably, attraction has nothing to do with it.

JOHN