 Off-Topic / Debate / 25976
Re: False premise in this message needs to be identified as what it is
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 13:34:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Christopher L. Weeks wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Lee Meyer wrote:

   the point I was trying to make was that when you deal with a topic that has moral/religious implications (such as homosexuality), if before the

There are no moral implications in the issue -- except for the immorality of behaving in a hostile manner toward a harmless minority, of course.

Under your morality, perhaps.

I recognise that different people hold different moralities, and under other moral systems, there may well be moral implications here.

However I also hold the (somewhat unpopular and somewhat hard to prove absolutely) view that some moralities are superior to others. Not just in a “my morality is better than yours” sense, but absolutely. I’ve made this case (rather unsuccessfully) before... interested parties could go digging, but the basis I tried to use was that more life affirming moralities were more pro survival and therefore evolutionarily preferrable.

However, at least in the *non* absolute sense, I suspect that both you and I hold that a morality that is more tolerant and less likely to assign “immoral” labels to activities and beliefs that don’t violate the rights of others is “better” than one that is less tolerant or quicker to judge who’s a sinner and who isn’t.

Do you agree?