 Off-Topic / Debate / 2546
Re: TRU venting (was Re: Prices of New Star Wars LEGO)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:08:44 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

And *THAT* is an argument against minimum wage. I feel that as the
minimum wage has went up, and as we've had labor shortages galore, the
people we have working for minimum wage or just above in the service
industries are kind of the dregs of the employable... I would have been
FIRED from McD for some of the stuff I endure from "employees" every
time I go into one nowadays. But then I had the incentive of a higher
wage to motivate me to give good service.

That is funny, I have noticed that as well, in numerous places, where the people
act like it is a right to have a job. The Meijer that I am working for at my
second job is that way. The teenagers there do nothing as baggers, and they had
to boost up their pay to 7.00 an hour! I cannot remember the amount of times the
baggers came to me and whined about how they did not get paid enough. When I was
16, I was thankful I had a job with my mom's store. That thought me many things,
namely how to run a business, how to treat customers/guests, and how the
marketplace works.   Not to mention the absolute incompetence, yelling and
arguing at the managers, swearing and other rude behavior at guests, etc. Nor do
they do their jobs, since when my roommate and I get there at 5:30 after AEI, we
get to clean up the lots, because all the baggers do is stand around and talk.
They practically worship us there, because we come there and do our jobs very
effectively. They accommodate the overtime I have to work here at AEI, and we
get weekends off.

The minimum wage is a bad idea, most people, especially here in Ann Arbor, are
around 1-2.00/per hour more anyway, since the labor market is so tight. Never
forget most people on minimum wage are teenagers and college students, not most
people.

Scott S.

Scott S.

followups are carefully set to off-topic.debate, please honor that.

Scott E. Sanburn
CAD Operator
Affiliated Engineers, Inc.

Work Page:
http://www.aeieng.com/

Home Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Main LEGO Page:
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Station/3372/index.html

Soon to come: Star Wars LEGO Sets Parts Selling Page!